Dec 12, 2012, 1:28 AM EDT
Generally, if you get in a wrestling match over a ball with a referee then, when ejected, you take your mouthpiece and throw it at him, you are lined up for more than one game of suspension.
But the Raptors Amir Johnson admitted afterward that he was “childish” and apologized, and with that he got off pretty light — a one game suspension by the league.
Johnson will miss the Raptors game Wednesday against Brooklyn.
The entire incident was silly — it’s not uncommon for referees to let players touch the ball between free throws, referee David Jones didn’t want to do that in this case. No idea why. It’s silly of Jones to make a big deal of it, it was silly for Johnson to demand it, try to wrestle the ball away then snap when he got a tech for it.
But the silliness of the thing combined with an apology means Johnson threw his mouthpiece and hit a referee and only got one game. It could have been much worse.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48