Dec 12, 2012, 1:28 AM EDT
Generally, if you get in a wrestling match over a ball with a referee then, when ejected, you take your mouthpiece and throw it at him, you are lined up for more than one game of suspension.
But the Raptors Amir Johnson admitted afterward that he was “childish” and apologized, and with that he got off pretty light — a one game suspension by the league.
Johnson will miss the Raptors game Wednesday against Brooklyn.
The entire incident was silly — it’s not uncommon for referees to let players touch the ball between free throws, referee David Jones didn’t want to do that in this case. No idea why. It’s silly of Jones to make a big deal of it, it was silly for Johnson to demand it, try to wrestle the ball away then snap when he got a tech for it.
But the silliness of the thing combined with an apology means Johnson threw his mouthpiece and hit a referee and only got one game. It could have been much worse.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3