Dec 12, 2012, 1:28 AM EST
Generally, if you get in a wrestling match over a ball with a referee then, when ejected, you take your mouthpiece and throw it at him, you are lined up for more than one game of suspension.
But the Raptors Amir Johnson admitted afterward that he was “childish” and apologized, and with that he got off pretty light — a one game suspension by the league.
Johnson will miss the Raptors game Wednesday against Brooklyn.
The entire incident was silly — it’s not uncommon for referees to let players touch the ball between free throws, referee David Jones didn’t want to do that in this case. No idea why. It’s silly of Jones to make a big deal of it, it was silly for Johnson to demand it, try to wrestle the ball away then snap when he got a tech for it.
But the silliness of the thing combined with an apology means Johnson threw his mouthpiece and hit a referee and only got one game. It could have been much worse.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20