Dec 12, 2012, 1:28 AM EDT
Generally, if you get in a wrestling match over a ball with a referee then, when ejected, you take your mouthpiece and throw it at him, you are lined up for more than one game of suspension.
But the Raptors Amir Johnson admitted afterward that he was “childish” and apologized, and with that he got off pretty light — a one game suspension by the league.
Johnson will miss the Raptors game Wednesday against Brooklyn.
The entire incident was silly — it’s not uncommon for referees to let players touch the ball between free throws, referee David Jones didn’t want to do that in this case. No idea why. It’s silly of Jones to make a big deal of it, it was silly for Johnson to demand it, try to wrestle the ball away then snap when he got a tech for it.
But the silliness of the thing combined with an apology means Johnson threw his mouthpiece and hit a referee and only got one game. It could have been much worse.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 4
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4