Dec 12, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Ricky Rubio will be back soon for Minnesota. But not tonight.
The team announced that Rubio will not make his season debut against the Denver Nuggets Wednesday night, the team announced. Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune tweets that Rubio likely would not make his debut Friday on the first night of a back-to-back, so that Saturday against New Orleans seems a more likely target.
Rubio has been practicing with the team, nearing a return from surgery to repair a torn ACL suffered last March.
Minnesota needs him back. They have been a very good defensive team this season (third best in the NBA in points allowed per possession, via Hoopdata), but their offense is 24th in the NBA by the same measure. The Timberwolves have struggled to get easy baskets — they haven’t fared well in transition, or when guys are getting spot-up opportunities, or cutting off the ball.
All of those things are the kind of problems Rubio’s court vision, passing and flare for the game can help fix.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 0
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 10
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 63
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30