Dec 12, 2012, 12:19 PM EST
Ricky Rubio will be back soon for Minnesota. But not tonight.
The team announced that Rubio will not make his season debut against the Denver Nuggets Wednesday night, the team announced. Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune tweets that Rubio likely would not make his debut Friday on the first night of a back-to-back, so that Saturday against New Orleans seems a more likely target.
Rubio has been practicing with the team, nearing a return from surgery to repair a torn ACL suffered last March.
Minnesota needs him back. They have been a very good defensive team this season (third best in the NBA in points allowed per possession, via Hoopdata), but their offense is 24th in the NBA by the same measure. The Timberwolves have struggled to get easy baskets — they haven’t fared well in transition, or when guys are getting spot-up opportunities, or cutting off the ball.
All of those things are the kind of problems Rubio’s court vision, passing and flare for the game can help fix.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6