Dec 12, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Ricky Rubio will be back soon for Minnesota. But not tonight.
The team announced that Rubio will not make his season debut against the Denver Nuggets Wednesday night, the team announced. Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune tweets that Rubio likely would not make his debut Friday on the first night of a back-to-back, so that Saturday against New Orleans seems a more likely target.
Rubio has been practicing with the team, nearing a return from surgery to repair a torn ACL suffered last March.
Minnesota needs him back. They have been a very good defensive team this season (third best in the NBA in points allowed per possession, via Hoopdata), but their offense is 24th in the NBA by the same measure. The Timberwolves have struggled to get easy baskets — they haven’t fared well in transition, or when guys are getting spot-up opportunities, or cutting off the ball.
All of those things are the kind of problems Rubio’s court vision, passing and flare for the game can help fix.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20