Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season

Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Blatche can play, but the NBA offers simply weren’t there.

2. Giant LeBron James banner approved to hang in downtown Cleveland once again

Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

lebron-banner

10-story-high banner will return after a similar one was taken down when James left in 2010.

3. Report: Ramon Sessions signs 2-year deal with Kings

Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Ramon Sessions AP

Sessions could start at point guard for Sacramento.

4. Report: Former NBA player Rex Chapman arrested for stealing product from Apple store

Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd

Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.

5. Andrew Bogut is feeling healthy, takes charges on D at Warriors scrimmage

Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Andrew Bogut AP

Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.

6. All PBT’s NBA team previews in one convenient spot

Sep 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 7 Getty Images

This post is here to make life easier for you when you want to find these at the end of the season and point out how wrong we were.

7. UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks

Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

It has to be a sign and trade and Minnesota doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.

8. Jeff Green says he wants to be leader on Celtics this season

Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Jeff Green AP

“It was more just becoming a better all-around player, trying to take the next step and become a leader on this team and will my team to win.” —Jeff Green

9. James Dolan enlists Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire to break world kazoo record

Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

dolan stoudemire anthony kazoo

And you wonder why Phil Jackson is worth $12 million a year to the Knicks organization.

10. Hawks’ Budenholzer adjusting to coach/GM role, had mentor for many years in Popovich

Sep 19, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Mike Budenholzer

Budenholzer got thrust into a position with the power a lot of coaches covet.

11. Cavaliers sign Lou Amundson

Sep 19, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT

Serge Ibaka, Lou Amundson Serge Ibaka, Lou Amundson

Will he make Cleveland’s regular-season roster?

12. LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12

Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT

9.15.14 Nike LeBron 12 Launch

Full recap from the launch event at Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon, including technical information, details on colorways, and confirmed release dates.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches