Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery

Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Three Getty Images

Dallas was counting on him for bench depth and now will be looking to replace that help in a depleted market.

2. Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers

Jul 23, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT

US forward Kevin Love dunks the ball aga US forward Kevin Love dunks the ball aga

Minnesota wants to dump some bad contracts as part of the deal, and Cleveland isn’t taking them.

3. Jerry Stackhouse has contacted Lionel Hollins about a coaching job with Nets

Jul 23, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 2 Getty Images

Stackhouse coached against Hollins at adidas Eurocamp in Italy this summer.

4. LeBron James apparently remembers everything

Jul 23, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT

Miami Heat v San Antonio Spurs - Game Five Getty Images

LeBron has used more than just physical gifts to become all-time great NBA player

5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar training Roy Hibbert

Jul 23, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Roy Hibbert Roy Hibbert

Pacers center needs confidence more than a skyhook

6. Five biggest surprises from Summer League

Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

D-League Select v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Russ Smith had a nice Summer League.

7. Report: Jameer Nelson to meet with Mavericks

Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Cleveland Cavaliers Orlando Magic v Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas, seeking third point guard, has already met with Mo Williams

8. Cavaliers sign second-round pick Joe Harris

Jul 23, 2014, 1:00 AM EDT

Coastal Carolina v Virginia Getty Images

As Cavaliers position themselves for Kevin Love trade, now was the time to sign No. 33 pick

9. Report: Grizzlies to hire Jeff Bzdelik as assistant coach

Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

ACC Basketball Tournament - First Round Getty Images

Bzdelik, who most recently coached Wake Forest, previously served as Nuggets head coach

10. Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo)

Jul 22, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Justin Bieber Justin Bieber

Bieber wearing a Nets hat, so you know what that means…

11. Cavaliers trade with Jazz, gain pieces for Kevin Love deal

Jul 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Kevin Love, Jeremy Evans Kevin Love, Jeremy Evans

Utah reportedly trades John Lucas III, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy to Cleveland for Carrick Felix, second-round pick and $1 million

12. Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt

Jul 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT

Sterling will be removed as Clippers owner one way or another because he is toxic to the organization right now.

13. Bojan Bogdanovic officially becomes member of Brooklyn Nets. Finally.

Jul 22, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

JSF Nanterre v Fenerbahce Ulker Istanbul - Turkish Airlines Euroleague Getty Images

He’s going to get some of Paul Pierce’s minutes.

14. Isaiah Austin says NBA has offered him a job once he finishes degree

Jul 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

Adam Silver does the classy thing. Again.

15. Agent spins Evan Turner could have gotten $10 million a year if he’d stayed in Philly. Nope.

Jul 22, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Evan Turner is now a reclamation project — if he wants to get paid he has to become more efficient.

16. Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade

Jul 22, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

It means the Timberwolves want to send Kevin Martin out in the Love deal, Cavs trying to make that happen.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches