Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EST

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Josh Smith calls Hawks fans “bandwagoners”

Mar 4, 2015, 1:55 AM EST

Houston Rockets v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Hawks fans booed Smith every time he touched the ball.

2. Josh Smith rattles in 3-pointer, taunts booing Hawks fans (video)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague

Smith can’t stop shooting 3s, though, and you know how that ends

3. Report: Celtics’ top free-agent target is Kevin Love, Greg Monroe No. 2

Mar 3, 2015, 8:08 PM EST

Kevin Love, Greg Monroe AP

Boston reportedly also plans to try for Marc Gasol, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler

4. Report: Mavericks, Heat in long line of teams interested in JaVale McGee

Mar 3, 2015, 5:50 PM EST

JaVale McGee JaVale McGee

The list for him is much longer than just two teams. Much longer.

5. Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach

Mar 3, 2015, 5:08 PM EST

Kenneth Faried, Brian Shaw AP

What kind of team are they trying to build.

6. Kyrie Irving a gametime decision for Cavaliers vs. Celtics

Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Irving has missed two straight games with a shoulder strain.

7. Pacers’ David West on Nuggets firing Brian Shaw: ‘That’s bullsh-t. No grownups on the roster.’

Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Shaw was an assistant coach in Indiana before landing the head coaching spot in Denver.

8. Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw

Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Nuggets are 20-39 this season.

9. Matt Barnes says if he was the one who kicked LeBron, league would have tried to put him in jail

Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Barnes isn’t wrong that the punishment for him doing something like this would have been much more severe.

10. J.J. Redick ejected for complaining to officials, says Flip Saunders told him to ‘shut the f— up’

Mar 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski

Clippers have a reputation with the referees, which likely was why Redick was tossed for seemingly innocuous comments.

11. Kevin Garnett gets into it with Austin Rivers, double technicals issued (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Kevin Garnett, Bennett Salvatore AP

KG played for Doc Rivers on the Celtics’ 2008 title team, but wasn’t willing to take any grief from his son.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches