Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Storms in Houston forced Dwight Howard to remain at arena with fans until 2:30AM after Game 4 win over Warriors

May 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Severe flooding in the area had fans — and at least one player — stranded.

2. Stephen Curry went through concussion protocol twice before returning to court

May 26, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpti2yjjimja4ywnhyza4zdnjzti5mja0nzy1mjqzm2e2 AP

Curry reported no symptoms after the game or on Tuesday, which means expect the regular Curry back for Game 5 Wednesday night.

3. Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle

May 26, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Washington Wizards - Game Six Getty Images

There is no timeline but this could impact training camp and the start of next season.

4. Jason Terry says he will play next season, his 17th in NBA

May 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Jason Terry AP

If he’s used in the aging shooter role on the court and veteran locker room presence off it, bringing him back for another season for a few million makes sense.

5. PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it?

May 26, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Houston Rockets - Game Four Getty Images

Would the league really upgrade a foul and bench a star player in an elimination game?

6. PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4

May 26, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT

Not that it will be enough to get the Hawks a win.

7. Report: Nets to shop Joe Johnson, Jarrett Jack in effort to get under luxury tax line

May 26, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

The Nets just do not have good rebuilding options going forward.

8. Zach LaVine alley-oop dunking a football. Because he can. (VIDEO)

May 26, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

Minnesota’s Zach LaVine has spent the early part of his offseason working on increasing his vertical… wait, what?

9. Nazr Mohammed plans to play another season

May 26, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers V Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Mohammed, 37, already one of NBA’s oldest players

10. Report: Magic will name Scott Skiles coach this week

May 26, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT

Scott Skiles AP

Not the most reliable report. Not the least reliable report.

Will Klay Thompson get a little help on James Harden?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches