Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EST

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Rajon Rondo’s career highlights with the Celtics (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

Rajon Rondo Rajon Rondo

A final look back at Rondo’s time in Boston as he gets set to make his debut with Dallas.

2. Report: Cavaliers GM passed on trading for Corey Brewer, hopes to add defensive big man instead

Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

David Griffin AP

Cavaliers are tied with the Pistons for 23rd in defensive efficiency.

3. Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets

Dec 20, 2014, 7:11 PM EST

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 AP

Kings are looking to make a splash, and Williams has been made available in trade by the Nets.

4. Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic

Dec 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Phoenix Suns Media Day Phoenix Suns Media Day

Dragic will opt out of the final year of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

5. Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’

Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Lin understands why Bryant always gets the ball in these situations, but admits he’d like to get some opportunities.

6. Serge Ibaka blocks Carlos Boozer at the rim, does Mutombo finger wag (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Serge Ibaka, Carlos Boozer AP

As the Thunder ended up winning by one, 104-103, this block ended up being very important.

7. Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 AM EST

Damian Lillard AP

Lillard needs to get mentioned with the game’s top point guards.

8. Former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic loses first kickboxing fight (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EST

Former NBA player now trying to make his way as a fighter.

9. Danny Ainge says uncertainty about Celtics’ ability to re-sign Rajon Rondo prompted trade to Dallas

Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Danny Ainge AP

There are a whole host of reasons Rondo was traded; this is just the most convenient for Boston’s brass.

10. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

11. Kevin Durant to sit out vs. Lakers with ankle sprain

Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

This is the smart move by the Thunder.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches