Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Fast Break notes: Baron Davis is honest about the draw of the NBA

Aug 31, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT

The 2015 ESPYS - Arrivals Getty Images

We have some Riley Curry news. You know you want to click now.

2. Report: Bucks get Westbrook (not that one)

Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Miami Heat Scrimmage Getty Images

Charlie Westbrook reportedly signs with Bucks

3. Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers

Aug 31, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

The Clippers add more depth. It’s been a good offseason for Doc Rivers.

4. Report: Suns have no intention to trade unhappy Markieff Morris

Aug 31, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT

Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris AP

The Suns have no leverage now even if they wanted to move him, and apparently they don’t.

5. Hassan Whiteside can touch the rim without jumping (photo)

Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Miami Heat Getty Images

You don’t even need to pump up his sneakers

6. Report: Second-rounder Sir’Dominic Pointer won’t sign with Cavaliers

Aug 31, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

Cleveland can watch Pointer develop without having to pay him

7. Report: Thunder sign Talib Zanna

Aug 31, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT

2015 NBA D League Showcase Getty Images

Don’t expect him to make the regular-season roster this season

8. Report: Nick Young actually inquired about playing for Australia

Aug 31, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Nick Young, Iggy Azalea AP

Could Lakers wing play in the 2016 Olympics?

9. Report: Tristan Thompson won’t accept less than max from Cavaliers, his agent thinks Raptors will offer it next summer

Aug 31, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Thompson might leverage the max from Cleveland, but it probably shouldn’t be because of this Toronto threat

10. Canada cuts Olivier Hanlan, finalizes roster FIBA Americas with nine NBA players

Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Andrew Wiggins, Cory Joseph AP

By dropping an NBA draft pick, Canadians show how far they’ve come

11. Nigeria beats Angola to win AfroBasket, qualify for Rio Olympics

Aug 30, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT

Olympics Day 10 - Basketball Getty Images

Al-Farouq Aminu is headed back to the Olympics.

12. Sneaky good summer move: Spurs trade for Ray McCallum

Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

We’ll all look back at the McCallum trade and say “it’s the Spurs doing Spurs things again.”

Top 10 NBA Player Searches