Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley to need four months of recovery following season-ending surgery

Mar 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Patrick Beverley AP

It had been hoped that Beverley might be available to return later in the postseason.

2. Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months

Mar 31, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT

Kevin Durant AP

We already knew Durant was done for the season, but the Thunder have updated his status.

3. Draymond Green no longer selling ‘Cool story, Glenn’ shirts, may miss next game vs. Clippers

Mar 31, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Draymond Green AP

Green is trying to downplay rivalry with Clippers coach, and is dealing with inflammation in his shins.

4. Kyrie Irving on his relationship with LeBron James: ‘I don’t want to say it’s not been rocky at all’

Mar 31, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Things are clicking now in Cleveland, but it wasn’t that way at the beginning of the season.

5. Flip Saunders (sort of) makes up with Jazz broadcaster after ripping him for saying Timberwolves were tanking

Mar 31, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT

Flip Saunders AP

Interaction ended with a handshake, but it seemed evident Saunders remained displeased.

6. Lance Stephenson receives DNP-CD in Hornets’ loss to Celtics

Mar 31, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Sacramento Kings Charlotte Hornets v Sacramento Kings

Hornets were fighting for a playoff spot, but their big free agent acquisition sat on the bench.

7. Kings considering shutting down DeMarcus Cousins for remainder of season

Mar 31, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

Team has nothing left to play for, and Cousins has some nagging injuries.

8. Jordan Clarkson hits game-winner to give Lakers overtime win over Sixers (VIDEO)

Mar 31, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers V Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers V Los Angeles Lakers

Great win — except for the fact that it may help cost the Lakers their draft pick this summer.

9. Kyle Korver scores 11 points in 65 seconds (VIDEO)

Mar 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

In a season where Kyle Korver’s three point shooting has at times seemed inhuman this may be his best shooting display.

10. Blazers sign guard Tim Frazier for the remainder of the season

Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT

Tim Frazier, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Tim Frazier, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

He won’t replace Wesley Matthews, but he’s another body.

11. Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job

Mar 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT

Chris Mullin AP

There were rumors he wanted the Sacramento GM job, but George Karl has the power there now.

Clippers playoffs? MCW shooting? Your twitter questions answered.
Top 10 NBA Player Searches