Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Mavericks officially sign Summer League standout, No. 21 pick Justin Anderson

Aug 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It’s a standard rookie contract for a first-round pick.

2. Former NBA All-Star Bob Kauffman dies at age 69

Aug 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Spaulding NBA basketball Getty Images

He was a star with the Buffalo Braves (the franchise that is now the L.A. Clippers).

3. Giannis Antetokounmpo was confused when Anthony Davis talked smack, called him “kid”

Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

“Dude, what are you talking about? You’re only a year older than me!” — Giannis Antetokounmpo on Anthony Davis calling him “kid.”

4. Jahlil Okafor helps one kid dunk, brutally blocks another (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Jahlil Okafor Jahlil Okafor

Okafor is getting acquainted with his young fans in Philadelphia.

5. Clippers waive Jordan Hamilton

Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Jordan Hamilton Jordan Hamilton

Hamilton played 14 games with the Clippers last season.

6. Gregg Popovich expects Tim Duncan to play the “same boring game” as usual

Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Tim Duncan, Gregg Popovich Tim Duncan, Gregg Popovich

That would be good news for the Spurs and bad news for the rest of the Western Conference.

7. Report: Chris Paul to attend Team USA minicamp

Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Chris Paul, Ray McCallum Chris Paul, Ray McCallum

Paul is still in the running for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team.

8. Raptors’ GM Masai Ujiri sees Bismack Biyombo as key part of roster transformation

Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Biyombo has worked with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer on post moves, other parts of his game.

9. Nets finally taking responsible path to rebuilding, don’t expect another spending spree next summer

Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets Deron Williams Paul Pierce Kevin Garnett Getty Images

The Nets will be paying the price for their win-now era for a few years to come still.

10. Report: Dwight Howard to attend Team USA mini-camp after all

Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

This is the right move, whether he decides to play in Rio or not.

11. Watch Karl-Anthony Towns highlights from Summer League

Jul 31, 2015, 11:08 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

He looks like a guy who can live up to the No. 1 pick billing.

12. Pelicans waive Toney Douglas, still await Norris Cole decision

Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Norris Cole is still looking for a bigger payday.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches