Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Chris Paul puts Evan Fournier in spin cycle (VIDEO)

Apr 16, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets

Poor Evan Fournier is on the wrong end of a highlight that’s going to get shown a lot for a few days. At least.

2. Iman Shumpert drops Paul Pierce with the crossover (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Video of one player executing a crossover that drops another player to the floor — you know you’re watching.

3. D’Antoni didn’t know draft lottery implications for Lakers after win over Jazz

Apr 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT

Mike D'Antoni AP

Mike D’Antoni had no idea how beating the Jazz on Monday would negatively impact his team’s Draft Lottery chances. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

4. Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season

Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony AP

Anthony is out for the rest of the season but will not be surgery and will be good to go next season.

5. Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before

Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Just 7-8 minutes before, Cedric Maxwell had stood next to one of the people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing, but he decided to go inside and get warm.

6. With top spot secure, Pacers to rest George, West, Stephenson, Watson Wednesday

Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

With nothing on line Pacers going to rest key guys… except Hibbert.

7. Could Nets rest guys hoping to face Raptors instead of Bulls in first round? (They didn’t)

Apr 15, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT

Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Shaun Livingston, Deron Williams Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Shaun Livingston, Deron Williams

It’s not something you could ever prove (and the Nets may not even do it), but they could rest guys in hopes of falling into a first-round matchup with Toronto.

8. Damian Lillard not making friends in latest Foot Locker ad (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Damian Lillard doesn’t want to end up like all those players without rings. The ones sitting in his living room.

9. 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year

Apr 15, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT

Ryan McDonough Ryan McDonough

Two general managers make all three ballots, one tops each

10. Luol Deng wins J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award

Apr 15, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Paul George, Luol Deng Paul George, Luol Deng

Award honors ‘outstanding service and dedication to the community’

11. Fan runs into Chandler Parson’s car on way to game, asks for autograph

Apr 15, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Houston Rockets Getty Images

It was just a fender bender, the good news is nobody got hurt. However, Chandler Parsons was delayed getting to the Toyota Center for the Rockets game Monday when he got into an accident. And then the other driver found out who he was and… I will let Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle tell…

12. Jordan Farmar crosses up Trey Burke, drops him — in the backcourt (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

And Burke is one of the best rookies in this class….

13. Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air

Apr 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Jeff Teague, George Hill, David West Jeff Teague, George Hill, David West

We know for sure the Pacers play the Hawks in the first round, and we know the Rockets and Blazers will meet. After that all the matchups are still up in the air.

14. Amar’e Stoudemire has discussed playing in Israel

Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Amar'e Stoudemire, Taj Gibson Amar'e Stoudemire, Taj Gibson

Knicks forward come become free agent this offseason

15. PBT Podcast: Time to start talking playoffs

Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

The Pacers are in a good spot with home court advantage in the East. Without Andrew Bogut the Warriors are in trouble out West.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures