Kevin Love is sorry for where he ripped Timberwolves, not what he said

Dec 12, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT

Kevin Love AP

Traditionally, guys who just signed four-year max deals don’t sit down and bash the team that just gave them a huge payday.

But Kevin Love doesn’t fit your mold, on or off the court. So when he sat down with Adrian Wojnarowski he said what he felt — that him not getting the five-year max (they are saving that for Ricky Rubio) and how the entire thing was handled left a bad taste in his mouth. And in three years, if he’s not happy with where the team is, he might opt out and see who else wants his services.

But Love sat down with the Timberwolves management on Tuesday and told them he wants to make it work here, but he doesn’t regret what he said. He just regrets not talking to them first. From the Star-Tribune when Love spoke to the media at Wednesday’s shootaround:

“I meant what I said, I told David there’s nothing to apologize about,” Love said. “The only thing I was sorry about is that I did in public and if there’s a learning experience from that, it’s not to do that again.

“A lot of athletes these days say the right thing and aren’t outspoken. I happen to be in this article. I’m not going to go forward and say I have anything to apologize about. I said what I felt. I didn’t mean to alienate my team, my coaches, the organization or more importantly the fans…I said a lot of things about the team and were we’re at this point and I’ll continue to say it throughout the year because that’s how I feel.”

Love went to the Olympic Training Camp in Las Vegas and lobbed bombs back to Minnesota saying he wanted to see the roster upgraded. He got his wish.

“I’ve mentioned it this summer, it keeps coming up again. The acquisitions we made this off-season, I’m very happy with. As far as the state of the team, I think we’re fine.”

When asked if wants to be the cornerstone of this franchise long term, he said, “Oh absolutely. One of the big points, I want to be here for five years. I’d love to end my career as a Timberwolf.”

What Love wants is to win. And as a franchise cornerstone player he has the leverage to push the Timberwolves management to get the team in that position or else. What he got with his four-year deal was an opt-out after three years — the same kind of leverage LeBron James, Chris Bosh and others used to hold over their franchises.

It’s simple, if Minnesota builds a team where Love feels respected and thinks he has a shot at a ring, he stays. If not, he looks around. And then finds out the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Thanasis Antetokounmpo chooses Knicks D-League team over playing in Europe next season

Aug 21, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

thanasis nba draft

Knicks finally considering the importance of developing young talent for the future.

2. Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade

Aug 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Wiggins too, while guys like Alexey Shved will be sent to the Sixers.

3. Shaq answers the question: Kobe or LeBron?

Aug 21, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

Shaquille O'Neal AP

Gone are the days when Shaq would have used this as an opportunity to take a shot at Kobe.

4. NBA GM says ‘there’s no reason’ to trade for restricted free agents Greg Monroe or Eric Bledsoe

Aug 21, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT

John Loyer, Greg Monroe John Loyer, Greg Monroe

Why give up assets now, when either player could be signed outright as an unrestricted free agent next summer?

5. DeMarcus Cousins wants to be the third ‘Splash Brother’ (VIDEO)

Aug 21, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Stephen Curry: “We’re still taking applications.”

6. Jeremy Lin smashes a cake in his mother’s face (Instagram)

Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Jeremy Lin Jeremy Lin

Being Jeremy Lin’s parent must be an interesting experience. What do you say to him to correct him.

7. Kyrie Irving with crossover, step-back jumper for Team USA (VIDEO)

Aug 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

It’s a great move, one Irving pulls off almost ever game.

8. Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico

Aug 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Derrick Rose, Tom Thibodeau Derrick Rose, Tom Thibodeau

Patience is the right play here. And patience is never popular with any fan base.

9. Kentucky’s Calipari calls David Blatt right guy to coach Cavaliers

Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

David Blatt David Blatt

Blatt can coach, but if it takes a season for the Cavaliers to find their identity (as it did with LeBron in Miami) will he get the chance to stick around for it?

10. Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors

Aug 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Anthony Bennett Anthony Bennett

If you’re now rebuilding in Minnesota, why trade Bennett?

11. DeMar DeRozan leads Team USA in scoring, could well stick with team (VIDEO)

Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT

Dominican Republic v United States Getty Images

He also was a scoring machine at the showcase in Las Vegas.

12. Coach K: No Team USA cuts before Friday’s game

Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

16 players will practice and be available for Friday’s game against Puerto Rico, but the roster needs to be trimmed to 12 in advance of the FIBA World Cup.

13. Wednesday And-1 links: Youths who entered Ray Allen’s home charged with trespassing

Aug 20, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

Including a link to the trailers of the STARZ show LeBron James is producing loosely based on his life

14. Derrick Rose held out of USA exhibition vs. Dominican Republic, technically ‘coach’s decision’

Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Rose hasn’t practiced since playing 24 minutes in Saturday’s win over Brazil.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches