Cousins responds to Mayo saying he had “mental issues”

Dec 12, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

O.J. Mayo was ticked when DeMarcus Cousins elbowed him below the belt — because all guys are ticked or worse when we get hit there. Cousins said it wasn’t intentional, but Mayo fired shots at him postgame, saying, “”That guy has some mental issues, man…. He’s immature, man. Big maturity problem.”

Cousins responded, speaking with the Sacramento Bee.

“I heard,” Cousins said. “This coming from a guy that doesn’t have a great image himself. So what does his really mean? I’m fine with it.”

Cousins has point. As a pro Mayo has gotten in fights with Tony Allen over a gambling debt, been suspended 10 games for violating the league’s drug policy, and he used to publicly complain about his role on what was a playoff team in Memphis. In college he was involved in a recruiting scandal that caused USC to have to vacate all its wins for a season.

So, maybe we can both agree that they have both been immature and move on to the next point — Mayo said Cousins could be a franchise player but doesn’t want it.

“Is he a franchise player?” Cousins said. “So how is he going to tell me what I am?”

Mayo is a lot closer to a franchise player this year in Dallas than he has been any year of his career. But no GM is banking on him as a franchise guy.

But they are not banking on Cousins, either, not right now. Because they are not sure if his pride and ego will continue to get in his own way (like going out to yell at a Spurs broadcaster who called you out during a game). Cousins may get there, he is closer than Mayo, but pride goes before the fall.

So are we done now with two immature guys sniping at each other?

1. LPad - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Does Cousins get into any trouble off the court? all I’ve heard about him is that he gets techs, plays for a bad team, may have got a bad coach fired, gave out some hard fouls in the pre-Olympic training camp, and wanted to fight Sean Elliot.

2. rj2323 - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Mayo is alot closer to being a franchise guy

• brianspider - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Not saying either guy is that close, but how many Sacramento Kings games have you watched?

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

This is wrong, and I don’t mean the use of “alot” which isn’t a word.

3. narrabeen23 - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Haha. Say what you will about Cousins, he makes a lot of sense when he speaks

4. glink123 - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM

both are chronic under-achievers. nothing to see here.

5. savvybynature - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Mayo: “Cousins is immature.”
    Cousins: “I’m rubber and your glue…”

6. mrwright313 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I have a problem with the assertion that Mayo’s past somehow weakens the criticism he has for Cousins. You can disagree, but acting like someone who has been immature can’t call out others is asinine.

7. fm31970 - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Hmmm, the Grizzlies are much improved with Mayo no longer there. Coincidence? I think not. Mayo’s always been a “me” first guy, and probably always will be.

Cousins is immature, sure, but I can at least understand that he’s tired of losing and wants a chance to play for a decent (not even great) franchise. He’s stuck in NBA purgatory for at least two more years, with no chance for parole. Imagine how Cousins would flourish under Doc Rivers, George Karl (seriously), or Lionel Hollins.

Karl would never want a guy like Mayo (see Anthony, Carmelo), Hollins already tired of him and his me first attitude, and I doubt he would last more than a year on a team like the Celtics.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview