Raptors Amir Johnson ejected after struggling with ref over ball, throwing mouthpiece at him

Dec 11, 2012, 1:43 AM EST

Amir Johnson, your suspension is coming. You may want to ask Rajon Rondo the good places to hang out in Mexico during your time off.

Watch the video above and you’ll see why. Toronto was down double digits in the third quarter when Portland’s J.J. Hickson drains the first of two free throws and as often happens Johnson grabs the ball and hands it to the referee.

Then Johnson won’t let go of the basketball and he and referee David Jones get into a struggle over who can hold the ball. A silly struggle. Jones gets frustrated, ejects Johnson, and then the Raptor forward flies into a rage. And he throws his mouthpiece and hits Jones.

After the game, Johnson appologized admitted that was stupid (but wouldn’t take all the blame), via Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated (he had he video, as well).

“I think [it was childish] between both of us,” Johnson said. “We were both wrestling with the ball. That was kind of childish. We both either could of let it go or anything. That part was childish. Plus, on my part for reacting that way….

“I think it was just real childish,” Johnson said. “It was something that didn’t need to happen. I lost my cool. I apologize on that part. I’ve never been kicked out of a game before or been teed up like that.”

Childish is a good word for it. Stupid is as well.

Expensive will be another because he is going to miss a number of games for this without pay. Expect the suspension to come down Tuesday.

1. bowling4bynum - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Wow. Why would he do that? This has to be the stupidest thing I’ve seen since Andrew Bynum started growing his hair out.

2. dko83 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Worth it?

3. brotherlove2012 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM

The NBA should disband that team and close the franchise, the Craptors have been so bad for so long, they are the equivalent of the 80’s Clippers as far as futility is concerned.

4. skids003 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:53 AM

If he wouldn’t take all the blame, then who is at fault besides him? What an idiot.

5. lawyermalloy - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I don’t get it; why did he demand the ball after the first free throw?

• hollywood26 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I can’t be sure either. A lot of players on a free throw like to bounce the ball or grip it to get used to the feel (NBA balls feel way different than what you play with at a park). But from the video it looks like he thought dude was gonna let him have it and then there was confusion and a conversation (this is where it gets blurry). I can see the tech for delay (we use that a lot ) but he must have really said something to get immediately tossed.

6. billschmidt2012 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This is possibly the most bizarre ejection I have seen. Johnson had no business grabbing that ball from the ref. I don’t care if he has a routine where he likes to feel up the ball after each free throw, it isn’t his ball to grab at that point. The ref had it and was going to toss it back in play (to the free throw shooter).

7. edge661 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Nba has a league of idiots. I say suspend that fool 50 games. What an idiot

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches