Dec 11, 2012, 1:43 AM EDT
Amir Johnson, your suspension is coming. You may want to ask Rajon Rondo the good places to hang out in Mexico during your time off.
Watch the video above and you’ll see why. Toronto was down double digits in the third quarter when Portland’s J.J. Hickson drains the first of two free throws and as often happens Johnson grabs the ball and hands it to the referee.
Then Johnson won’t let go of the basketball and he and referee David Jones get into a struggle over who can hold the ball. A silly struggle. Jones gets frustrated, ejects Johnson, and then the Raptor forward flies into a rage. And he throws his mouthpiece and hits Jones.
After the game, Johnson appologized admitted that was stupid (but wouldn’t take all the blame), via Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated (he had he video, as well).
“I think [it was childish] between both of us,” Johnson said. “We were both wrestling with the ball. That was kind of childish. We both either could of let it go or anything. That part was childish. Plus, on my part for reacting that way….
“I think it was just real childish,” Johnson said. “It was something that didn’t need to happen. I lost my cool. I apologize on that part. I’ve never been kicked out of a game before or been teed up like that.”
Childish is a good word for it. Stupid is as well.
Expensive will be another because he is going to miss a number of games for this without pay. Expect the suspension to come down Tuesday.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury