Dec 11, 2012, 1:26 PM EST
For the first month of the season, Charlie Villanueva might as well have been a ghost. You saw only fleeting glimpses of him in a Pistons uniform, seemingly out of the corner of your eye. Up to Nov. 23, Villanueva had only set foot on the court three times, for a total of 20 minutes.
But Monday night, he played 22 minutes and had eight points and five boards off the bench. He’s become an important, solid and efficient part of the Pistons bench, shooting 40 percent from three and getting rebounds. He still has a solid midrange game. He has combined that to earn a PER of 16.3.
Coach Lawrence Frank has come around on Villanueva, reports the Detroit News.
“He has a high basketball IQ and I want to make sure he fully takes advantage of that,” coach Lawrence Frank said.
“When I’m on the floor, I spread the floor and make stuff easier for other guys,” Villanueva said. “They can’t pack the paint with me out there.”
Detroit almost used its amnesty clause on Villanueva last summer, because they owe him $8 million this season and next. And while that’s pricy (and they would love to trade him) now they are getting something from him (after last season when he was out of shape and injured). His rebounding is average as is his shooting, but he is consistent and on these Pistons solid and consistent play is welcomed as an upgrade.
He’s going to continue to get minutes, and while he’s not ready for your fantasy team he’s a welcome addition to the Pistons rotation now.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 28
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)