Dec 11, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
For the first month of the season, Charlie Villanueva might as well have been a ghost. You saw only fleeting glimpses of him in a Pistons uniform, seemingly out of the corner of your eye. Up to Nov. 23, Villanueva had only set foot on the court three times, for a total of 20 minutes.
But Monday night, he played 22 minutes and had eight points and five boards off the bench. He’s become an important, solid and efficient part of the Pistons bench, shooting 40 percent from three and getting rebounds. He still has a solid midrange game. He has combined that to earn a PER of 16.3.
Coach Lawrence Frank has come around on Villanueva, reports the Detroit News.
“He has a high basketball IQ and I want to make sure he fully takes advantage of that,” coach Lawrence Frank said.
“When I’m on the floor, I spread the floor and make stuff easier for other guys,” Villanueva said. “They can’t pack the paint with me out there.”
Detroit almost used its amnesty clause on Villanueva last summer, because they owe him $8 million this season and next. And while that’s pricy (and they would love to trade him) now they are getting something from him (after last season when he was out of shape and injured). His rebounding is average as is his shooting, but he is consistent and on these Pistons solid and consistent play is welcomed as an upgrade.
He’s going to continue to get minutes, and while he’s not ready for your fantasy team he’s a welcome addition to the Pistons rotation now.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8