Dec 11, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
For the first month of the season, Charlie Villanueva might as well have been a ghost. You saw only fleeting glimpses of him in a Pistons uniform, seemingly out of the corner of your eye. Up to Nov. 23, Villanueva had only set foot on the court three times, for a total of 20 minutes.
But Monday night, he played 22 minutes and had eight points and five boards off the bench. He’s become an important, solid and efficient part of the Pistons bench, shooting 40 percent from three and getting rebounds. He still has a solid midrange game. He has combined that to earn a PER of 16.3.
Coach Lawrence Frank has come around on Villanueva, reports the Detroit News.
“He has a high basketball IQ and I want to make sure he fully takes advantage of that,” coach Lawrence Frank said.
“When I’m on the floor, I spread the floor and make stuff easier for other guys,” Villanueva said. “They can’t pack the paint with me out there.”
Detroit almost used its amnesty clause on Villanueva last summer, because they owe him $8 million this season and next. And while that’s pricy (and they would love to trade him) now they are getting something from him (after last season when he was out of shape and injured). His rebounding is average as is his shooting, but he is consistent and on these Pistons solid and consistent play is welcomed as an upgrade.
He’s going to continue to get minutes, and while he’s not ready for your fantasy team he’s a welcome addition to the Pistons rotation now.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49