Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
The 2-15 Washington Wizards can’t catch a break.
Tonight they thought they had a potential win against the New Orleans Hornets — one of the league’s other struggling sides at 5-14 — but they catch the Hornets on the night of the return of their star Anthony Davis.
We told you it was likely when he practiced on Monday and now it is official from Jimmy Smith of the Times-Picayune — Davis is back with the Hornets after missing 11 games with a sprained ankle.
Davis averaged 16 points on 49.3 percent shooting, plus 8.5 rebounds a game before his injury. But where the Hornets really missed Davis was on the defensive end — New Orleans has given up 3.9 more points per 100 possessions in their last 9 games than they did in their first 10 (basically with and without Davis). The Hornets have the worst defense in the NBA right now and they need Davis’ length and athleticism to start turning it around.
The Hornets also play Wednesday night in Oklahoma City, so look for coach Monty Williams to keep Davis’ minutes under control. But it will be good to see the No. 1 overall pick back on the court.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0