Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
The 2-15 Washington Wizards can’t catch a break.
Tonight they thought they had a potential win against the New Orleans Hornets — one of the league’s other struggling sides at 5-14 — but they catch the Hornets on the night of the return of their star Anthony Davis.
We told you it was likely when he practiced on Monday and now it is official from Jimmy Smith of the Times-Picayune — Davis is back with the Hornets after missing 11 games with a sprained ankle.
Davis averaged 16 points on 49.3 percent shooting, plus 8.5 rebounds a game before his injury. But where the Hornets really missed Davis was on the defensive end — New Orleans has given up 3.9 more points per 100 possessions in their last 9 games than they did in their first 10 (basically with and without Davis). The Hornets have the worst defense in the NBA right now and they need Davis’ length and athleticism to start turning it around.
The Hornets also play Wednesday night in Oklahoma City, so look for coach Monty Williams to keep Davis’ minutes under control. But it will be good to see the No. 1 overall pick back on the court.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5