Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
The 2-15 Washington Wizards can’t catch a break.
Tonight they thought they had a potential win against the New Orleans Hornets — one of the league’s other struggling sides at 5-14 — but they catch the Hornets on the night of the return of their star Anthony Davis.
We told you it was likely when he practiced on Monday and now it is official from Jimmy Smith of the Times-Picayune — Davis is back with the Hornets after missing 11 games with a sprained ankle.
Davis averaged 16 points on 49.3 percent shooting, plus 8.5 rebounds a game before his injury. But where the Hornets really missed Davis was on the defensive end — New Orleans has given up 3.9 more points per 100 possessions in their last 9 games than they did in their first 10 (basically with and without Davis). The Hornets have the worst defense in the NBA right now and they need Davis’ length and athleticism to start turning it around.
The Hornets also play Wednesday night in Oklahoma City, so look for coach Monty Williams to keep Davis’ minutes under control. But it will be good to see the No. 1 overall pick back on the court.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 23
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 22
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48