Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
The 2-15 Washington Wizards can’t catch a break.
Tonight they thought they had a potential win against the New Orleans Hornets — one of the league’s other struggling sides at 5-14 — but they catch the Hornets on the night of the return of their star Anthony Davis.
We told you it was likely when he practiced on Monday and now it is official from Jimmy Smith of the Times-Picayune — Davis is back with the Hornets after missing 11 games with a sprained ankle.
Davis averaged 16 points on 49.3 percent shooting, plus 8.5 rebounds a game before his injury. But where the Hornets really missed Davis was on the defensive end — New Orleans has given up 3.9 more points per 100 possessions in their last 9 games than they did in their first 10 (basically with and without Davis). The Hornets have the worst defense in the NBA right now and they need Davis’ length and athleticism to start turning it around.
The Hornets also play Wednesday night in Oklahoma City, so look for coach Monty Williams to keep Davis’ minutes under control. But it will be good to see the No. 1 overall pick back on the court.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12