Tony Parker says Jeremy Lin reminds him of a young Tony Parker

Dec 10, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT

Tony Parker,  Jeremy Lin AP

For his first years in the league, the book on Tony Parker read like the book on John Wall or even rookie Derrick Rose — back up and let him take the jumper.

But Parker developed both a steady outside shot and a floater in the lane that is the state-of-the-art in the NBA. That has allowed him to score without getting to the rim and opened up a lot of the game.

Parker said he sees a lot of his young self in Jeremy Lin, he told the Houston Chronicle.

“His shot will come,” Parker said. “Me too. I couldn’t hit a shot at the beginning of my career. I was still able to go to the basket. His shot will improve. It will help, definitely, his game. Definitely. When I start making the outside jumper on a consistent basis, that’s when I was more consistent with my performance.”

“It’s his first full year,” Parker said. “There is a lot of attention on him. I think you have to be patient with his growth. When I first came into the league, I was a little raw. I was very aggressive. At the same time, I had to learn the point guard position and when to score, when to pass and try to find that happy middle, find the balance. I think Jeremy Lin is at that point. He’s trying to find his position on the team. And he needs to fit with another guy who is very aggressive with James Harden. I had to do the same thing when I had Manu Ginobili being super aggressive. You have to find your spots. He will.”

Parker was a little more advanced as a rookie than Lin. He shot 41.9 percent from the floor and 32.3 percent from three, starting 72 games for a 58-win Spurs team. This season Lin is shooting 38.1 percent and 26.5 percent from three. Parker had a PER of 11.7 as a rookie and 16.5 his sophomore year. Lin had a PER of 19.9 (near All-Star level) with the Knicks last season that has fallen to 12.1 this season.

Parker is spot on, Lin has struggled as an offensive focal point teams have planned for, plus having to share the ball with the playmaking James Harden.

Which is to say Lin is on a steep learning curve, one a number of players have been on. Whether he can learn at anywhere near the level Parker did is another question.

1. trybe29dr - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Apparently Tony Parker is familiarizing himself with Meth

• saint1997 - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I don’t care if people dislike that. I am sick and in bed and that made me laugh

2. gatordontplay - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

why do we continue to talk about a below average role player? the media trying to make this guy relevant or an all star is just sad.

• jinjin12 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

people still talking about john wall so….lmao…

3. doctorfootball - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Tony Parker could defend, even back then. Lin’s idea of defense is to stand there like a statue and hope the opposing player runs into him.

• recapp - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

LOL thanks for trolling. Lin’s tied with Kobe for 8th in the league with 35 steals.

• doctorfootball - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Really? Defense is only about steals? Learn something then come back

• danielcp0303 - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Defense isn’t all about steals, but he has a lot of them. If you’d watch the Rockets games this season, you’d see that he’s actually a very underrated defender. Helps off the ball, and has good quickness to stay with guys. He basically shut down Westbrook from going into the paint, and got up in his face on those fast break pull up jumpers. Rockets problem has been getting rebounds and blocking off the paint, because Asik is usually glued to his man because he’s the only big they have.

4. franchiseplaya - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM

TP must be taking lessons from MJ on scouting talent.

5. moseskkim - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It’s not about stats with Lin. James harden is a very talented ball dominating player. When the rockets brought him in, it essentially took most of Lins ball handling/playmaking opportunities. It’s better in the long run for Lin because he can learn slowly. Without harden, Lin would be averaging good to great numbers just because he would be utilized so much as he was during linsanity. I believe Lin will get better thru practice especially with harden. Hardens got the all around game so if he can rub off on Lin, Lin should improve steadily. I love Parker’s comparison especially with ginobili. I personally think though Lin will never be as consistently good as Parker but he has a lot of potential.

• savvybynature - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Couldn’t agree more. Lin was never as good as his fans thought during Linsanity, and never as bad as the Lin haters claim he is now.
      His biggest problem is that right now he is a high-usage player that performs best when the offense runs through him, but he is playing with another high-usage player that demands the ball in Harden.
      For evidence look no further than tonight against the Spurs. Harden sits and Lin puts up nearly 40 points to go w 7 assists and only 2 turnovers against a top-10 defense in the league.

6. jimmygrahamchrisivory - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Well, he certainly played like Tony Parker in a close one tonight. Houston can be unstoppable if McHale can figure out how to get Lin and Harden to put up those type of performances together going forward.

7. bleed4philly - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Lin and Harden cannot co-exist. Trade harden to Minnesota for Love.

• mytthor - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Why in the world would Minnesota make that trade?

8. cornbreadbbqred - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Learn how to straight stick a clutch jumper, and stop other talented point guards with hand cuff defense. That is what makes an elite point guard in this game, worthy of mentioning with the greats of the past. Neither of these guys had that from jump street, and Parker needed an entire system around him to develop it gradually. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t trade one Earl the Pearl Monroe for a dozen of these clowns.

9. gmsingh - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM

He’s doing Eva Longoria too?

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview