Dec 10, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
But Parker developed both a steady outside shot and a floater in the lane that is the state-of-the-art in the NBA. That has allowed him to score without getting to the rim and opened up a lot of the game.
“His shot will come,” Parker said. “Me too. I couldn’t hit a shot at the beginning of my career. I was still able to go to the basket. His shot will improve. It will help, definitely, his game. Definitely. When I start making the outside jumper on a consistent basis, that’s when I was more consistent with my performance.”
“It’s his first full year,” Parker said. “There is a lot of attention on him. I think you have to be patient with his growth. When I first came into the league, I was a little raw. I was very aggressive. At the same time, I had to learn the point guard position and when to score, when to pass and try to find that happy middle, find the balance. I think Jeremy Lin is at that point. He’s trying to find his position on the team. And he needs to fit with another guy who is very aggressive with James Harden. I had to do the same thing when I had Manu Ginobili being super aggressive. You have to find your spots. He will.”
Parker was a little more advanced as a rookie than Lin. He shot 41.9 percent from the floor and 32.3 percent from three, starting 72 games for a 58-win Spurs team. This season Lin is shooting 38.1 percent and 26.5 percent from three. Parker had a PER of 11.7 as a rookie and 16.5 his sophomore year. Lin had a PER of 19.9 (near All-Star level) with the Knicks last season that has fallen to 12.1 this season.
Parker is spot on, Lin has struggled as an offensive focal point teams have planned for, plus having to share the ball with the playmaking James Harden.
Which is to say Lin is on a steep learning curve, one a number of players have been on. Whether he can learn at anywhere near the level Parker did is another question.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25