Dec 10, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
The Lakers wounds are self-inflicted.
Sure, injuries can strike any team, but that doesn’t impact the effort on defense. Or how you share the ball on offense. Or any host of things that plague the Lakers that have nothing to do with Steve Nash and Pau Gasol.
“They did it to themselves,” Millsap said of the 9-12 Lakers. “Our defense was pretty good, but they had no ball movement and that made it easier on us just to try to load up, keep them out of the paint and let them fire up some 3s.”
Except the Lakers hit those threes — they were 15-of-28, or 53.6 percent. The Lakers got 40.9 percent of their points from three pointers.
What killed the Lakers was their inconsistent defense. Which has really been their biggest issue all season. As the brilliant Tom Ziller noted over at SBN, the Lakers actually have outscored their opponents by 65 total points this season, an average of 3.1 per game. Use that to get an expected win-loss and you’d get 13-8. Not 9-12.
Which means stat-friendly Lakers fans can say “things are bound to turn around.” But the reason they are 9-12 is the inconsistent defense, the lapses for entire games (Utah Sunday) or just a quarter (losses to Orlando and Houston). That is their self-inflicted wound. That is the end of the floor they need to fix, and that is not new coach Mike D’Antoni’s forte.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23