Dec 10, 2012, 7:19 PM EST
In case you missed the business news wires this morning — because you were busy reading about the latest Lakers implosion — NBC Sports and Yahoo Sports have formed a new partnership.
Yahoo! and the NBC Sports Group today announced a content and promotional deal combining Yahoo! Sports’ original reporting expertise, coverage of big events, Rivals college content and popular fantasy sports products with NBC Sports Group’s growing digital assets and significant television promotion and integration. This alliance of two of the most-trusted brands in sports will become the daily habit of fans looking for an all-star lineup of digital and on-air experiences.
That’s what press releases read like. Here’s what it means for you.
If you are a fantasy player, this is great news. Yahoo is a fantasy sports powerhouse and if you play fantasy (basketball, football, anything) and don’t check out NBC’s Rotoworld all the time you’re doing it wrong. Now that those two will share content it is going to be a great fantasy spot.
It’s also going to mean a lot of things in terms of video, investigative reporting (Yahoo kills it at that) and a lot of Yahoo’s team of amazing writers showing up on the NBC Sports Network. There are a lot of video and TV ends to this deal.
What is it going to mean around here at PBT? Not much will seem or feel different at all for you readers. We are going to keep doing what we do. Kelly Dwyer and guys at Ball Don’t Lie will keep doing what they do. Neither site is not moving or changing. PBT already has a great relationship with Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski — notice he was the first guest on our podcast — and we will be continuing to link to him, Marc Spears and the other guys there all the time.
What you may notice is more comments because more eyeballs and clicks should be flowing our way. Be nice to one another… or, in some of your cases start being nice to one another. What would your mother say if she saw some of the things you wrote here?
In all seriousness, I’m pumped. NBC/Yahoo is the largest sports portal on the Web. It’s going to be a force of nature. I’m honored to be part of it and will keep working hard to live up to it.
Now, can we get back to talking about Andrew Bynum’s hair?
- Report: Rockets look to trade Asik next week, Varejao in play 0
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 0
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 8
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)