Dec 10, 2012, 7:19 PM EST
In case you missed the business news wires this morning — because you were busy reading about the latest Lakers implosion — NBC Sports and Yahoo Sports have formed a new partnership.
Yahoo! and the NBC Sports Group today announced a content and promotional deal combining Yahoo! Sports’ original reporting expertise, coverage of big events, Rivals college content and popular fantasy sports products with NBC Sports Group’s growing digital assets and significant television promotion and integration. This alliance of two of the most-trusted brands in sports will become the daily habit of fans looking for an all-star lineup of digital and on-air experiences.
That’s what press releases read like. Here’s what it means for you.
If you are a fantasy player, this is great news. Yahoo is a fantasy sports powerhouse and if you play fantasy (basketball, football, anything) and don’t check out NBC’s Rotoworld all the time you’re doing it wrong. Now that those two will share content it is going to be a great fantasy spot.
It’s also going to mean a lot of things in terms of video, investigative reporting (Yahoo kills it at that) and a lot of Yahoo’s team of amazing writers showing up on the NBC Sports Network. There are a lot of video and TV ends to this deal.
What is it going to mean around here at PBT? Not much will seem or feel different at all for you readers. We are going to keep doing what we do. Kelly Dwyer and guys at Ball Don’t Lie will keep doing what they do. Neither site is not moving or changing. PBT already has a great relationship with Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski — notice he was the first guest on our podcast — and we will be continuing to link to him, Marc Spears and the other guys there all the time.
What you may notice is more comments because more eyeballs and clicks should be flowing our way. Be nice to one another… or, in some of your cases start being nice to one another. What would your mother say if she saw some of the things you wrote here?
In all seriousness, I’m pumped. NBC/Yahoo is the largest sports portal on the Web. It’s going to be a force of nature. I’m honored to be part of it and will keep working hard to live up to it.
Now, can we get back to talking about Andrew Bynum’s hair?
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45