Dec 10, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
In case you missed the business news wires this morning — because you were busy reading about the latest Lakers implosion — NBC Sports and Yahoo Sports have formed a new partnership.
Yahoo! and the NBC Sports Group today announced a content and promotional deal combining Yahoo! Sports’ original reporting expertise, coverage of big events, Rivals college content and popular fantasy sports products with NBC Sports Group’s growing digital assets and significant television promotion and integration. This alliance of two of the most-trusted brands in sports will become the daily habit of fans looking for an all-star lineup of digital and on-air experiences.
That’s what press releases read like. Here’s what it means for you.
If you are a fantasy player, this is great news. Yahoo is a fantasy sports powerhouse and if you play fantasy (basketball, football, anything) and don’t check out NBC’s Rotoworld all the time you’re doing it wrong. Now that those two will share content it is going to be a great fantasy spot.
It’s also going to mean a lot of things in terms of video, investigative reporting (Yahoo kills it at that) and a lot of Yahoo’s team of amazing writers showing up on the NBC Sports Network. There are a lot of video and TV ends to this deal.
What is it going to mean around here at PBT? Not much will seem or feel different at all for you readers. We are going to keep doing what we do. Kelly Dwyer and guys at Ball Don’t Lie will keep doing what they do. Neither site is not moving or changing. PBT already has a great relationship with Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski — notice he was the first guest on our podcast — and we will be continuing to link to him, Marc Spears and the other guys there all the time.
What you may notice is more comments because more eyeballs and clicks should be flowing our way. Be nice to one another… or, in some of your cases start being nice to one another. What would your mother say if she saw some of the things you wrote here?
In all seriousness, I’m pumped. NBC/Yahoo is the largest sports portal on the Web. It’s going to be a force of nature. I’m honored to be part of it and will keep working hard to live up to it.
Now, can we get back to talking about Andrew Bynum’s hair?
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8