Dec 10, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
The trendy off-season workout for NBA players is MMA — it’s a hard workout, it teaches balance and core strength, plus it’s just cool.
That’s not what Joakim Noah did last summer.
He was in Southern California working out with famed big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton. And no, working out with him doesn’t mean jumping on some 50-foot wave (which I’m pretty sure violates Noah’s contract in like 12 places). Rather he was doing pool workouts that sound pretty extreme. From the Daily Herald (hat tip to SLAM).
“I would say I learned just as much about recovery from him as anybody,” Noah said after playing 44 minutes and the entire second half against the Knicks. “The way he trains for what he does is unbelievable. I consider him like a mentor….
“He surfs 60-, 70-foot giants,” Noah said. “You fall, you could die. Talk about mental toughness. When you have a 60-foot monster, you can be under (water) for two or three minutes, so you have to train for that.
“He’ll use weights and do like jumps underwater. He can do like 10 jumps. I can do like three. It’s unbelievable, just for your lung capacity and stuff like that. It really helped me doing these pool workouts.”
Noah is having a career year — 13.7 points and 10.8 rebounds a game, he’s the defensive anchor still and taking on more of the Bulls offense with Derrick Rose out. He has a PER of 18.5. The Bulls are atop the Central Division without their MVP and Noah’s play at both ends is a key reason.
So apparently this works.
Is it really hard to picture Noah hanging out on the beach, talking workouts with surfers? Then finding a way to make it work for him.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47