Dec 10, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
Kids, don’t try this at home. Eat your vegetables. Wear a helmet while skateboarding. Practice your jump shots.
Evan Turner is having a career year, scoring 14.1 points per game, with a PER of 16. He hit a game winner against Boston over the weekend and is a key reason Philadelphia is 11-9 even without Andrew Bynum.
When you look at Turner’s offensive numbers there is only one key jump — he is shooting 42.3 percent from three. Up from 22.4 percent from beyond the arc. CSNPhilly.com asked him the secret and…
“I stopped focusing on it,” he said. “That was it. I stopped focusing on it. I worry about my mid-range [game], my driving and my free throws, and that’s it. Honestly, I don’t shoot threes before games. I don’t practice threes anymore.”
Like a lot of players, Turner spent the summer focused on improving weakness in his game. He shot a lot of three pointers.
“But,” he said, “I wasn’t hitting them. After a while you say, ‘Never mind.’ I just kept working on my mid-range game. I think the more important thing is just to be in a good rhythm.”
Whatever works. As long as the shots keep falling and the Sixers can keep their head above water until — or if — Bynum returns it’s about all you can ask.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 78
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 46
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay