Dec 10, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
Kids, don’t try this at home. Eat your vegetables. Wear a helmet while skateboarding. Practice your jump shots.
Evan Turner is having a career year, scoring 14.1 points per game, with a PER of 16. He hit a game winner against Boston over the weekend and is a key reason Philadelphia is 11-9 even without Andrew Bynum.
When you look at Turner’s offensive numbers there is only one key jump — he is shooting 42.3 percent from three. Up from 22.4 percent from beyond the arc. CSNPhilly.com asked him the secret and…
“I stopped focusing on it,” he said. “That was it. I stopped focusing on it. I worry about my mid-range [game], my driving and my free throws, and that’s it. Honestly, I don’t shoot threes before games. I don’t practice threes anymore.”
Like a lot of players, Turner spent the summer focused on improving weakness in his game. He shot a lot of three pointers.
“But,” he said, “I wasn’t hitting them. After a while you say, ‘Never mind.’ I just kept working on my mid-range game. I think the more important thing is just to be in a good rhythm.”
Whatever works. As long as the shots keep falling and the Sixers can keep their head above water until — or if — Bynum returns it’s about all you can ask.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 0
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 6
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 5
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm