Dec 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Reports leaked out last week that Derrick Rose was only a couple weeks away from practicing with the Bulls again. They came after video of him running some sprints next to the team’s practice court were shown.
Rose himself would not be that specific. Nor does he sound like he is rushing it.
The Bulls hosted a charity event for 100 Chicago children on Sunday and CSNChicago.com was there and spoke with Rose.
“I’m feeling good right now. Rehab is going good. I’m working out six times a week and I’m trying to get on the court as soon as possible but being patient and taking my time,” he said. “And everything’s going pretty good.”
The original buzz was we could expect to see Rose back after the All-Star break in mid-February, but it is possible that date could be moved up a little.
But not a lot. Both the Bulls and Rose have said this before — this is not about getting him back for some February regular season games, this is about the next five years. Rose is the franchise anchor and he needs to be right. If he misses the entire season that would not be a terrible thing for the Bulls. Heck, they lead the Central Division right now without him.
Rose is a competitor and wants back. I expect we will see that this season. Just don’t expect soon, no matter how well the workouts are going.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4