Dec 10, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
Andrew Bynum spoke with the media again and… Sixers fans, I’m sorry. I wish things were different.
The guy Philly wants to build a franchise around remains out indefinitely. If you want the optimistic view, Bynum said he fully expects to play this season. He is going to get another MRI on December 20 and if the doctor says its okay he could “ramp it up,” which I guess means increase his conditioning, get out on the practice floor and being ready to go soon. That MRI will be key. Bynum said he thinks the worst-case scenario is another month after that.
But it’s kind of hard to be optimistic about Bynum right now. Especially with some of these other quotes, via CSNPhilly.com.
““I feel pain walking around, so it’d be silly to go out and start playing basketball right away (once cleared) because it’s just going to get worse,” Bynum said, noting that the swelling in his right knee is gone. “If this was the Finals and we have a chance to win, I’d be able to play. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that? But why risk anything when you have time to come back and be 100 percent?…
“It’s arthritis in the knees and the cartilage is missing,” he said. “It’s not going to regrow itself.”
So, who wants to give Bynum a big contract this summer when he is a free agent?
Bynum said the pressure to get back out on the court comes from himself and that he fully expects to play this season. He also said his left knee is the one that is bothering him (the right one is the one he tweaked again bowling, that seems to be improving).
The optimistic view is we will know a lot more after the MRI Dec. 20 and then we can start making Christmas plans for Bynum. The reality is if it hurts to walk we are a ways away from seeing Bynum in a Sixers uniform on the court.
- Cavaliers’ No. 1 pick looks good in Summer League. No, not that one. Anthony Bennett. 7
- Report: Pau Gasol nearing three-year, $22 million deal with Bulls 7
- Julius Randle signs rookie contract, makes Summer League debut for Lakers 6
- Report: Houston Rockets will not match Mavericks’ Chandler Parsons’ offer, he’s Dallas bound 63
- Dante Exum impresses in flashes during Summer League debut with Jazz 17
- Reports: Luol Deng agrees to two years, $20 million deal with Miami 67
- Cavaliers coach Blatt: Wiggins “not going anywhere” 86
- It’s official: Carmelo Anthony announces he will remain face of New York Knicks 55