Dec 9, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Serge Ibaka and Metta World Peace got tangled up late in the contest while battling for rebounding position, and this apparently reminded Jackson of similar encounters he’s had with Ibaka in the past.
So, naturally, he issued a warning to Ibaka as only Jackson could. Here it is, word for word, and exactly as Jackson spelled it out.
“Somebody tel serg Abaka. He aint bout dis life. Next time he run up on me im goin in his mouth. That’s a promise. He doin 2 much.”
The thoughts from Jackson come across as menacing at best, and threatening at worst.
Jackson posted an apology to his Instagram page on Sunday, the same place he posted a clarification after the initial remarks that this issue was personal between him and Ibaka, and wasn’t about defending his former teammate from his days in Indiana.
“I apologize to [Serge Ibaka], the NBA, and to all my fans for the comments I made. It was unprofessional and childish. I’m not a thug just a man who speaks his mind. It was not appropriate. I do apologize. Only a man can admit when he’s wrong.”
It’s impossible to know whether Jackson himself came to the conclusion that he erred in judgment, or whether someone he works with or an advisor let him know that the league might come down on him for this, and that posting an apology was a good idea. This one is written much more cleanly, and without any slang or spelling errors, so it’s probably not a stretch to guess that he may have had some assistance.
Either way, apologizing was the right thing to do. And we won’t have to wait very long to see if Jackson harbors any bad intentions, since the Spurs and the Thunder face each other on Dec. 17.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 13
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20