Dec 9, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Kevin Garnett anchored the Celtics offensively on Saturday, leading his team in scoring with 19 points on 9-of-11 shooting during Boston’s 92-79 win over the Sixers.
The game was a blowout, which was somewhat to be expected considering the way the Celtics lost to this same team in Philadelphia just the night before. Evan Turner hit a jumper late in overtime that ended up being the game-winner, while Rajon Rondo‘s look at the buzzer ultimately fell short.
The lopsided contest afforded Garnett only 23 minutes of playing time, which overall was probably a good thing for the veteran big man on the second night of a back-to-back. But it was also part of the reason for the statistical anomaly we saw in the final box score.
Garnett managed to play all of his minutes on Saturday without grabbing a single rebound. Zero. The same amount as you and I had while watching from home. KG plays power forward and is listed at 6’11”, so as you might imagine, this doesn’t happen very often. The last time Garnett finished without a rebound was Jan. 21, 1997, while playing with the Timberwolves.
He wasn’t exactly pleased with this accomplishment.
“You know what, I’m looking for the statistician around here. And when I find out what he looks like, we might have some problems,” joked Garnett. “I had a rebound in the first quarter. That’s bull—-, man. No, that’s f—ing bull—-. That’s all I’m going to say. I had a rebound in the first half, thank you. I think that’s an error, we’re going to fix that.”
The win is the most important statistic to pick up on a given night, and hey, it’s not like Garnett had some streak toward history in that category that he was trying to keep going.
Had that been the case, blowout aside, his coach may very well have left him in there until the final buzzer to let him go after it.
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 6
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 8
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 28
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26