Dec 9, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Kevin Garnett anchored the Celtics offensively on Saturday, leading his team in scoring with 19 points on 9-of-11 shooting during Boston’s 92-79 win over the Sixers.
The game was a blowout, which was somewhat to be expected considering the way the Celtics lost to this same team in Philadelphia just the night before. Evan Turner hit a jumper late in overtime that ended up being the game-winner, while Rajon Rondo‘s look at the buzzer ultimately fell short.
The lopsided contest afforded Garnett only 23 minutes of playing time, which overall was probably a good thing for the veteran big man on the second night of a back-to-back. But it was also part of the reason for the statistical anomaly we saw in the final box score.
Garnett managed to play all of his minutes on Saturday without grabbing a single rebound. Zero. The same amount as you and I had while watching from home. KG plays power forward and is listed at 6’11″, so as you might imagine, this doesn’t happen very often. The last time Garnett finished without a rebound was Jan. 21, 1997, while playing with the Timberwolves.
He wasn’t exactly pleased with this accomplishment.
“You know what, I’m looking for the statistician around here. And when I find out what he looks like, we might have some problems,” joked Garnett. “I had a rebound in the first quarter. That’s bull—-, man. No, that’s f—ing bull—-. That’s all I’m going to say. I had a rebound in the first half, thank you. I think that’s an error, we’re going to fix that.”
The win is the most important statistic to pick up on a given night, and hey, it’s not like Garnett had some streak toward history in that category that he was trying to keep going.
Had that been the case, blowout aside, his coach may very well have left him in there until the final buzzer to let him go after it.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games