Dec 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Shawn Marion left the Mavericks’ win over the Suns on Thursday in the third quarter due to suffering a groin strain. That injury is likely to keep him out of Dallas’ game in Houston against the Rockets on Saturday.
Marion actually seemed to be getting around just fine after Thursday’s game in Phoenix, and said after that one he felt that it was the team’s decision to end his play for the evening more than his own.
“It’s minor, but it bothered me,” Marion said. “They saw me limping a little bit and they told me to shut it down. It happened basically when I was trying to box somebody out for a rebound, I went up and just kind of felt a jerk. I played through it for about four or five minutes, and then they told me to shut it down.”
His outlook immediately following the game was a cautious one.
“I’m just going to take it one day at a time,” Marion said. “Groins are really tricky injuries. They can be lingering, but they can also be things you can deal with.”
It got even more cautious after the team’s shootaround on Saturday, reports Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News:
“A groin is something you don’t mess with,” Marion said. “I’m going to take it slow.”
He added he would “probably not” play tonight.
The Mavericks already have had plenty of different starting lineups on the season, and ran out a new one in Phoenix that featured Elton Brand and Dahntay Jones, along with Marion, O.J. Mayo, and Derek Fisher.
Chris Kaman also left that Phoenix game due to a sprained ankle, and he seemed much worse off than Marion in the locker room afterward, first speaking to reporters before joining Dirk Nowitzki in the trainer’s room, where Kaman was lying down on one of the tables with the ankle wrapped and elevated.
In the same report, Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle said there was a chance Kaman would be able to play against the Rockets.
Either way, another new lineup appears to be in the plans, given Marion’s status.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 2
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 40
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11