Dec 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Shawn Marion left the Mavericks’ win over the Suns on Thursday in the third quarter due to suffering a groin strain. That injury is likely to keep him out of Dallas’ game in Houston against the Rockets on Saturday.
Marion actually seemed to be getting around just fine after Thursday’s game in Phoenix, and said after that one he felt that it was the team’s decision to end his play for the evening more than his own.
“It’s minor, but it bothered me,” Marion said. “They saw me limping a little bit and they told me to shut it down. It happened basically when I was trying to box somebody out for a rebound, I went up and just kind of felt a jerk. I played through it for about four or five minutes, and then they told me to shut it down.”
His outlook immediately following the game was a cautious one.
“I’m just going to take it one day at a time,” Marion said. “Groins are really tricky injuries. They can be lingering, but they can also be things you can deal with.”
It got even more cautious after the team’s shootaround on Saturday, reports Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News:
“A groin is something you don’t mess with,” Marion said. “I’m going to take it slow.”
He added he would “probably not” play tonight.
The Mavericks already have had plenty of different starting lineups on the season, and ran out a new one in Phoenix that featured Elton Brand and Dahntay Jones, along with Marion, O.J. Mayo, and Derek Fisher.
Chris Kaman also left that Phoenix game due to a sprained ankle, and he seemed much worse off than Marion in the locker room afterward, first speaking to reporters before joining Dirk Nowitzki in the trainer’s room, where Kaman was lying down on one of the tables with the ankle wrapped and elevated.
In the same report, Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle said there was a chance Kaman would be able to play against the Rockets.
Either way, another new lineup appears to be in the plans, given Marion’s status.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 5
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42