Dec 8, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:04 p.m. ET: Fran Blinebury of NBA.com reports that McHale will indeed coach the team tonight against the Mavericks.
He will face off against a friend of his from the coaching fraternity, and former Celtics teammate, Rick Carlisle.
4:30 ET: Kevin McHale, who has been away from the Rockets for a month on a persona leave of absence following the death of his daughter, is expected to join the team tonight again in Houston, tweets Jonathon Feigan of the Houston Chronicle.
It is not known if he will resume duties as head coach Saturday or if Kelvin Sampson will continue in that role for now.
McHale, the Hall of Fame player for the Boston Celtics, left his position as the Rockets head coach on Nov. 10 amid reports that one of his daughters was very sick. Unfortunately, Sasha McHale lost her battle with Lupus. McHale has been on a leave of absence during this time.
The team has worn patches and ribbons on their uniforms in honor of Sasha since she passed. The team also made an extra flight in between games on a back-to-back to attend Sasha’s memorial service in Minnesota.
The Rockets have gone 7-6 while McHale has been away.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 0
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 8
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 11
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 49
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 60
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20