Dec 8, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:04 p.m. ET: Fran Blinebury of NBA.com reports that McHale will indeed coach the team tonight against the Mavericks.
He will face off against a friend of his from the coaching fraternity, and former Celtics teammate, Rick Carlisle.
4:30 ET: Kevin McHale, who has been away from the Rockets for a month on a persona leave of absence following the death of his daughter, is expected to join the team tonight again in Houston, tweets Jonathon Feigan of the Houston Chronicle.
It is not known if he will resume duties as head coach Saturday or if Kelvin Sampson will continue in that role for now.
McHale, the Hall of Fame player for the Boston Celtics, left his position as the Rockets head coach on Nov. 10 amid reports that one of his daughters was very sick. Unfortunately, Sasha McHale lost her battle with Lupus. McHale has been on a leave of absence during this time.
The team has worn patches and ribbons on their uniforms in honor of Sasha since she passed. The team also made an extra flight in between games on a back-to-back to attend Sasha’s memorial service in Minnesota.
The Rockets have gone 7-6 while McHale has been away.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 46
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43