Dec 8, 2012, 6:04 PM EST
UPDATE 6:04 p.m. ET: Fran Blinebury of NBA.com reports that McHale will indeed coach the team tonight against the Mavericks.
He will face off against a friend of his from the coaching fraternity, and former Celtics teammate, Rick Carlisle.
4:30 ET: Kevin McHale, who has been away from the Rockets for a month on a persona leave of absence following the death of his daughter, is expected to join the team tonight again in Houston, tweets Jonathon Feigan of the Houston Chronicle.
It is not known if he will resume duties as head coach Saturday or if Kelvin Sampson will continue in that role for now.
McHale, the Hall of Fame player for the Boston Celtics, left his position as the Rockets head coach on Nov. 10 amid reports that one of his daughters was very sick. Unfortunately, Sasha McHale lost her battle with Lupus. McHale has been on a leave of absence during this time.
The team has worn patches and ribbons on their uniforms in honor of Sasha since she passed. The team also made an extra flight in between games on a back-to-back to attend Sasha’s memorial service in Minnesota.
The Rockets have gone 7-6 while McHale has been away.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30