Dec 8, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:04 p.m. ET: Fran Blinebury of NBA.com reports that McHale will indeed coach the team tonight against the Mavericks.
He will face off against a friend of his from the coaching fraternity, and former Celtics teammate, Rick Carlisle.
4:30 ET: Kevin McHale, who has been away from the Rockets for a month on a persona leave of absence following the death of his daughter, is expected to join the team tonight again in Houston, tweets Jonathon Feigan of the Houston Chronicle.
It is not known if he will resume duties as head coach Saturday or if Kelvin Sampson will continue in that role for now.
McHale, the Hall of Fame player for the Boston Celtics, left his position as the Rockets head coach on Nov. 10 amid reports that one of his daughters was very sick. Unfortunately, Sasha McHale lost her battle with Lupus. McHale has been on a leave of absence during this time.
The team has worn patches and ribbons on their uniforms in honor of Sasha since she passed. The team also made an extra flight in between games on a back-to-back to attend Sasha’s memorial service in Minnesota.
The Rockets have gone 7-6 while McHale has been away.
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 6
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 12
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3