Dec 8, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
Friday night’s game between the Thunder and the Lakers wasn’t close, but Serge ibaka and Metta World Peace appeared to try to make up for that by getting tangled up in the closing minutes.
With under three minutes to play and Oklahoma City leading by 10, Ibaka and MWP were fighting for position on a free throw attempt from Jodie Meeks.
The shot went in, which makes this all the more ridiculous. But after the two got tangled up, neither wanted to be the one to break the hold first, so words were exchanged, and double technicals were handed out by the officials.
World Peace has the reputation, obviously, and has the bad blood with the Thunder franchise after dropping James Harden with a vicious elbow just last season.
But Ibaka has been known to throw a death grip of his own, so let’s just chalk this one up to two so-called tough guys not wanting to back down from a non-existent confrontation.
Where this gets interesting, of course, is in the event that the Lakers get their act together before the postseason, and end up in a seven-game series against the Thunder. Incidents like this will be filed away by both teams if that happens, and the end result could be a true rivalry that would be amazing to see play out.
[via Matt Moore]
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 11
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 29
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 44
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31