Dec 7, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:03 pm: Ricky Rubio may want to play Friday night but he will not, the Timberwolves announced on their official twitter account.
But he is close, so don’t be shocked if we see him next Wednesday or at some point during the week. The Timberwolves could really use him on the offensive end and while they don’t want to rush him if he can go he should go soon.
10:05 am: Ricky Rubio is on the cusp of returning to the Minnesota Timberwolves lineup.
And with it, the NBA just got more fun to watch.
The Spanish point guard with a flair for the game has been out recovering from the torn ACL and following surgery since last March. But he has been practicing with the team this week and he thinks he’s ready to go, reports Daren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 in Minnesota.
#Twolves source: Rubio angling to play tomorrow. Still a better chance because his conditioning isn’t 100% that we’re a week away from that.
— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) December 7, 2012
Next week the Timberwolves host the Nuggets on Wednesday and are in New Orleans on Friday.
The Timberwolves could use Rubio and his gifts for passing, their offense has lagged this season, they are 22nd in the NBA in points per possession. The Timberwolves got Kevin Love back from a broken hand but that has not been a huge boost, they are just 3-5 in the eight games.
The Minnesota offense has struggled in transition and when guys are getting spot-up opportunities or cutting off the ball — Rubio’s passing and court vision could get guys better looks and lead to more makes in those settings.
At least Rick Adelman hopes so.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 39
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17