Dec 7, 2012, 12:17 AM EST
The loss didn’t sit well with LeBron James.
The reigning MVP did all he could, finishing with a near triple-double statistical line of 31 points, 10 rebounds, and nine assists. But the Knicks bombed away from distance with 18 three-pointers, and Miami’s defense continued to struggle, only forcing seven New York turnovers.
Afterward, James did something very unusual, but not unfamiliar for a superstar in Miami after losing a marquee matchup.
LeBron went thru an extended workout after the game on the practice court. Said Knicks “kicked our ass” & he “had to get better”
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) December 7, 2012
In case you aren’t up to speed on the postgame routines of the league’s biggest stars, they typically are done getting their exercise for the night after playing 39 of 48 minutes in an NBA contest.
Maybe it’s something about Miami.
In March of 2011, Kobe Bryant emerged from the locker room after his Lakers lost to the Heat, and began going through a full workout on Miami’s home floor, in full view of reporters and arena workers.
LeBron’s workout was more private, but the message he was trying to send was the same. He’s willing to put in as much work as necessary for his team to get better, and do so immediately. We’ll see if his teammates follow suit.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)