Kobe doesn’t want to be like Mike when it comes to team ownership

Dec 7, 2012, 10:51 AM EST

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

With his milestone of reaching 30,000 points, there has been a lot of talk of Kobe Bryant’s legacy once he does hang up his Nikes.

And that almost always means Michael Jordan gets mentioned — everyone of this era who comes forward will be compared to him, but Kobe invited even more of that with his style of play and borrowed mannerisms. Because of their drive.

So when Kobe retires, is he going to follow Jordan into team ownership? Nope. Not in the cards he told Bloomberg News, as found and transcribed by Sports Illustrated’s The Point Forward.

“I don’t know if ownership is really the right thing for me,” Bryant told Bloomberg News in a video interview. “I’d go crazy. If a player misses a game because he has a broken fingernail, I’d lose my mind. I wouldn’t be able to take it.”

That doesn’t mean Kobe is going away from the public sphere.

“I’ll be around the game and hopefully my brand can live on past my career,” Bryant said.

Someone at Nike just smiled.

Kobe is going to need to find something to focus his energy on after he walks away. His family will be a priority, as will whatever he does to keep his brand going. But eventually there will be something else, too.

And despite what he thinks now, ownership would not shock me some day. He would take to building and organization like he did building up teammates… just with less yelling. Probably.

Latest Posts
  1. Royce White says he’s not done playing basketball

Mar 6, 2015, 3:12 PM EST

Royce White AP

It would be a long road back for White, but there is a road.

2. Kyle Lowry returning from injuries after ‘trash’ self-assessment

Mar 6, 2015, 2:37 PM EST

The Toronto Raptors took on the Golden State Warriors at the ACC Getty Images

Raptors need their All-Star point guard to get on track

3. Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing

Mar 6, 2015, 10:34 AM EST

Wesley Matthews, LaMarcus Aldridge, Damian Lillard, Robin Lopez, Nicolas Batum AP

Portland can overcome loss of shooting guard, but it won’t be easy

4. Larry Bird talks trash about Dominique Wilkins’ statue

Mar 6, 2015, 9:07 AM EST

Dominique Wilkins Statue Unveiling Ceremony Getty Images

Former Celtics star continues what he began Wilkins’ rookie year

5. Nuggets’ Wilson Chandler on lack of ‘grownups’ on Denver roster: ‘It’s probably true’

Mar 5, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Pacers’ David West made the assertion after Denver fired head coach Brian Shaw.

6. NBA admits James Harden was fouled in final seconds of Rockets’ loss to Grizzlies

Mar 5, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Houston Rockets vs Washington Wizards Getty Images

We all saw it at the time, but the league confirmed the missed call the next day.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches