Kobe doesn’t want to be like Mike when it comes to team ownership

Dec 7, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

With his milestone of reaching 30,000 points, there has been a lot of talk of Kobe Bryant’s legacy once he does hang up his Nikes.

And that almost always means Michael Jordan gets mentioned — everyone of this era who comes forward will be compared to him, but Kobe invited even more of that with his style of play and borrowed mannerisms. Because of their drive.

So when Kobe retires, is he going to follow Jordan into team ownership? Nope. Not in the cards he told Bloomberg News, as found and transcribed by Sports Illustrated’s The Point Forward.

“I don’t know if ownership is really the right thing for me,” Bryant told Bloomberg News in a video interview. “I’d go crazy. If a player misses a game because he has a broken fingernail, I’d lose my mind. I wouldn’t be able to take it.”

That doesn’t mean Kobe is going away from the public sphere.

“I’ll be around the game and hopefully my brand can live on past my career,” Bryant said.

Someone at Nike just smiled.

Kobe is going to need to find something to focus his energy on after he walks away. His family will be a priority, as will whatever he does to keep his brand going. But eventually there will be something else, too.

And despite what he thinks now, ownership would not shock me some day. He would take to building and organization like he did building up teammates… just with less yelling. Probably.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

2. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

3. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

4. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

5. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

6. 67RIEFNS No. 34: JaVale McGee doing JaVale McGee things

Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets Media Day Denver Nuggets Media Day

The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…

7. 67RIEFNS No. 33: Emotional swings of Roy Hibbert

Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse

8. Josh Childress delivers flying elbow to opponent’s face (video)

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

NBL Rd 3 - Perth v Sydney Getty Images

Childress, who played for Pelicans last season, now playing (dirty) in Australia

9. 67RIEFNS No. 32: Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh leading a team without LeBron

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Two Getty Images

Are Heat stars too old to succeed without LeBron James?

10. 67RIEFNS No. 31: Wizards’ small forwards

Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Washington Wizards Charlotte Hornets vs Washington Wizards

Paul Pierce, Otto Porter or Martell Webster – all intriguing for different reasons – could become Washington’s starting small forward

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches