Dec 7, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• The good news is the Hornets’ Anthony Davis is on the court and running. He went through the walkthrough with the starters. But he has yet to be cleared for contact. So, not exactly close to a return, but he is getting there.
• While we are in New Orleans, Eric Gordon is “making progress” but there still is no timeline for his return to the Hornets.
• Timberwolves GM David Kahn rejected the idea that he is involved in Pau Gasol trade talks saying he hasn’t spoken with the Lakers since July. The Lakers are not trading Gasol in the short-term anyway, they want to see him paired with Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard all at once. They want to se what they have before making a rash decision. But if that doesn’t work out and the Lakers do shop Gasol, Minnesota might well be near the front of the line if they are willing to offer Nikola Pekovic and Derrick Williams (plus likely Luke Ridnour). But we’re a long way from there right now.
• The Lakers as a team went to see the movie “Lincoln” and Kobe poked some fun at his teammate’s expense.
• Here is a great look from Zach Lowe at Grantland at what is wrong with the Heat defense.
• Davis Stern talked about Kobe Bryant being on Michael Jordan’s pedestal. That will piss a few of you off.
• If you’re wondering why you didn’t see Roddy Beaubois playing for Dallas Thursday night, it’s because he has a dislocated finger.
• The Portland Trail Blazers have had more top executives leave. There is a changing of the guard with that team’s management right now.
• Finally, for you Friday afternoon amusement, a guy trying to dunk over a basketball rack and failing. Spectacularly. (Hat tip The Big Lead.)
Report: Tristan Thompson won’t accept less than max from Cavaliers, his agent thinks Raptors will offer it next summer
Aug 31, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Thompson might leverage the max from Cleveland, but it probably shouldn’t be because of this Toronto threat
Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
By dropping an NBA draft pick, Canadians show how far they’ve come
Aug 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Utah now has 20 players
Aug 31, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
This would have been fun to attend.
Aug 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s a long shot to make a roster.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
Al-Farouq Aminu is headed back to the Olympics.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
There is no signed deal yet.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Shaq said Phil Jackson was fair with them.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
We’ll all look back at the McCallum trade and say “it’s the Spurs doing Spurs things again.”
Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
He will be missed.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Can Johnson take on the backup point guard role if Chalmers was moved?
Aug 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
“You’re talking about being a fiscally responsible person, I am. That’s precisely why I did this.” —Scott Walker
Aug 30, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Aug 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
First Cam Newton, now Usain Bolt.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He may start at the four for Charlotte this year.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Cherry played for the Spurs’ Summer League team.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Unfortunately, neither of them can defend anyone.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Claver played two-plus seasons with the Blazers.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
The block happened in the Seattle Pro-Am game.
Aug 29, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
All in one 15-minute video.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 24
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14