Dec 6, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Mike Woodson is doing his best college football coach “I don’t know which quarterback I’m going to start” shtick, but everyone knows he has one Heisman candidate and he’s going to play him.
In Woodson’s case he’s talking about Carmelo Anthony, and Woodson said at his meeting with the press a couple hours before tip-off that ‘Melo’s availability for a game against the Miami Heat is still up in the air (according to Ken Berger of CBS and pretty much every other New York based reporter on twitter).
Anthony cut middle finger on his left hand, his non-shooting hand, diving into the stands after a ball on Wednesday night. If the Knicks were playing the Bobcats, he might take a night off.
But with the Knicks trying to establish themselves as the early contender to the Heat’s throne, with Anthony’s friends Dwyane Wade and LeBron James on the other team, with national television lights shining down, do you really think he is sitting out?
Several reporters said they heard Anthony was leaning toward playing. It’s in ‘Melo’s hands, Woodson said, according to Berger.
“If he says he’s gonna play, he’ll play.”
What do you think? He’ll be there for the opening tip.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4