Dec 6, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than I love a good barbecued brisket (well, maybe not that much, but close)…
• I like the Nets new herringbone pattered court. It’s a Jay-Z idea, but he says the league hated it and tried to block it, saying it would mess up television screens. And it might your grandpa’s television with the tubes, but I think you are safe with an HD flat screen.
• Speaking of the Nets, Andray Blatche says he might resign with them after they win the championship. Good luck with that. (Actually, credit where credit is due, Blatche is playing his best basketball of his career this season.)
• Here is a fantastic breakdown from our old friend Rob Mahoney (now at SI) of what Kobe Bryant are doing different this year to have him scoring more efficiently than in years.
• The Kobe Assist — when other teams are so focused on the shooter that guys get the offensive rebound off a miss and it’s like an assist.
• Kobe Bryant just reached the 30,000 point plateau, becoming only the fifth NBA player ever to get there. What current players are likely to join him?
• Mike Brown wishes Kobe Bryant and all the Lakers well. He wants to see them win. Brown says he is comfortable and happy. If I was going to get $10 million to sit around my house I’d be comfortable and happy. too.
• Metta World Peace insists the Lakers can still go 72-10 this season and tie the Bulls all-time record. Even though they would need to go 63-0 the rest of the way. I think he just triggered an automatic league drug test.
• A fascinating statistical journey into the land of expected points per shot and shot location.
• Fans around Philadelphia are taking pictures of Andrew Bynum out and about in town, doing pretty much everything but playing basketball. There still is no timeline for that. But he is playing pop-a-shot.
• Ken Berger at CBS says that there seem to be signs of progress between Royce White and the Houston Rockets. Slow progress, but progress. I hope so. (Berger also has some “what if the Lakers want to trade Pau Gasol scenarios.)
• Another report that Greg Oden is thinking about trying to make an NBA comeback.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
He’s a 6’7″ combo guard with a lot of potential
Sep 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Well, that’s one.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
It’s not just baseball and boxing anymore.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Miami is a long shot to land him, but you can bet Pat Riley will have them positioned for a run.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots of pump fakes. Lots and lots of pump fakes.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
It’s an old Moses Malone trick.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s healthy, that’s a start.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Williams signed a two-year deal with the Mavs in July.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Whittington played for the Heat at Summer League.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mutombo played four and a half years in Atlanta.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Stojakovic had been rumored for several weeks to be joining the Kings.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His third time in seven years changing agents.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Wade would make Patches O’Houlihan proud.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If I were a betting man, I’d expect there’s a better than 50/50 chance a Zeller deal gets done.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Does Harden even make the all left-handed starting five?
Aug 31, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT
We have some Riley Curry news. You know you want to click now.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Charlie Westbrook reportedly signs with Bucks
Aug 31, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The Clippers add more depth. It’s been a good offseason for Doc Rivers.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
He is a very good pick-and-roll guard with great court vision.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
The Suns have no leverage now even if they wanted to move him, and apparently they don’t.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32