Dec 6, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than I love a good barbecued brisket (well, maybe not that much, but close)…
• I like the Nets new herringbone pattered court. It’s a Jay-Z idea, but he says the league hated it and tried to block it, saying it would mess up television screens. And it might your grandpa’s television with the tubes, but I think you are safe with an HD flat screen.
• Speaking of the Nets, Andray Blatche says he might resign with them after they win the championship. Good luck with that. (Actually, credit where credit is due, Blatche is playing his best basketball of his career this season.)
• Here is a fantastic breakdown from our old friend Rob Mahoney (now at SI) of what Kobe Bryant are doing different this year to have him scoring more efficiently than in years.
• The Kobe Assist — when other teams are so focused on the shooter that guys get the offensive rebound off a miss and it’s like an assist.
• Kobe Bryant just reached the 30,000 point plateau, becoming only the fifth NBA player ever to get there. What current players are likely to join him?
• Mike Brown wishes Kobe Bryant and all the Lakers well. He wants to see them win. Brown says he is comfortable and happy. If I was going to get $10 million to sit around my house I’d be comfortable and happy. too.
• Metta World Peace insists the Lakers can still go 72-10 this season and tie the Bulls all-time record. Even though they would need to go 63-0 the rest of the way. I think he just triggered an automatic league drug test.
• A fascinating statistical journey into the land of expected points per shot and shot location.
• Fans around Philadelphia are taking pictures of Andrew Bynum out and about in town, doing pretty much everything but playing basketball. There still is no timeline for that. But he is playing pop-a-shot.
• Ken Berger at CBS says that there seem to be signs of progress between Royce White and the Houston Rockets. Slow progress, but progress. I hope so. (Berger also has some “what if the Lakers want to trade Pau Gasol scenarios.)
• Another report that Greg Oden is thinking about trying to make an NBA comeback.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EST
A promotional video hyping the matchup features plenty of players, but Kevin Love is noticeably absent.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Mitch Kupchak expects Kobe to return next season.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Reserves are announced tonight.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Brooks may last the season, but may not if Thunder miss the playoffs. Jackson, meanwhile, has been marginalized ever since Dion Waiters was acquired.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EST
Wade may be selected as an All-Star reserve Thursday night, but wouldn’t play in the midseason exhibition if the timeline holds true.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
“I looked down to see my legs, and I saw my bone. The second I saw my bone, I just lost it.”
Jan 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Jan 29, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
See Andrew Wiggins’, Shabazz Muhammad’s and Dante Exum’s
Jan 29, 2015, 1:28 PM EST
Timberwolves enjoying rare win
Jan 29, 2015, 12:50 PM EST
Oklahoma City expected to deal Jackson
Jan 29, 2015, 12:14 PM EST
Spurs guard completes field
Jan 29, 2015, 11:41 AM EST
Thunder star is ridiculous(ly awesome)
Jan 29, 2015, 11:03 AM EST
A mutual parting after season wouldn’t be a surprised
Jan 29, 2015, 10:19 AM EST
‘Person close to Durant’ cites Thunder star’s fondness of Carmelo Anthony
Jan 29, 2015, 9:43 AM EST
Rockets center requires further testing
Jan 29, 2015, 9:06 AM EST
Happy times for Cavaliers. How long will they continue?
Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Sidney is the poster child for the can’t miss prospect that missed.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
At this point there have been no charges or arrests.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:29 AM EST
The Sixers, Knicks and Timberwolves win on the same day? Isn’t that one of the signs of the apocalypse?
Jan 29, 2015, 12:01 AM EST
The good news is that Walker may return in as little as six weeks, which means Charlotte’s playoff chances should remain intact.
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 6
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 8
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 40
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18