Dec 6, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than I love a good barbecued brisket (well, maybe not that much, but close)…
• I like the Nets new herringbone pattered court. It’s a Jay-Z idea, but he says the league hated it and tried to block it, saying it would mess up television screens. And it might your grandpa’s television with the tubes, but I think you are safe with an HD flat screen.
• Speaking of the Nets, Andray Blatche says he might resign with them after they win the championship. Good luck with that. (Actually, credit where credit is due, Blatche is playing his best basketball of his career this season.)
• Here is a fantastic breakdown from our old friend Rob Mahoney (now at SI) of what Kobe Bryant are doing different this year to have him scoring more efficiently than in years.
• The Kobe Assist — when other teams are so focused on the shooter that guys get the offensive rebound off a miss and it’s like an assist.
• Kobe Bryant just reached the 30,000 point plateau, becoming only the fifth NBA player ever to get there. What current players are likely to join him?
• Mike Brown wishes Kobe Bryant and all the Lakers well. He wants to see them win. Brown says he is comfortable and happy. If I was going to get $10 million to sit around my house I’d be comfortable and happy. too.
• Metta World Peace insists the Lakers can still go 72-10 this season and tie the Bulls all-time record. Even though they would need to go 63-0 the rest of the way. I think he just triggered an automatic league drug test.
• A fascinating statistical journey into the land of expected points per shot and shot location.
• Fans around Philadelphia are taking pictures of Andrew Bynum out and about in town, doing pretty much everything but playing basketball. There still is no timeline for that. But he is playing pop-a-shot.
• Ken Berger at CBS says that there seem to be signs of progress between Royce White and the Houston Rockets. Slow progress, but progress. I hope so. (Berger also has some “what if the Lakers want to trade Pau Gasol scenarios.)
• Another report that Greg Oden is thinking about trying to make an NBA comeback.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Forward from St. John’s went undrafted
Sep 15, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
New details about incident in which he allegedly punched ex-girlfriend in the face
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Amundson’s best days are behind him, but maybe he can find a niche in Cleveland
Sep 15, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Who else was Lionel Hollins going to start?
Sep 15, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Washington building up competition for open 15th spot
Sep 15, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Some team will pick him up. Eventually.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
KD is an Iverson fan.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Silas appears to have real chance of making the team
Sep 15, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Derrick Rose stayed healthy but never shook the rust fully off his shot.
Sep 15, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Soccer already has the right model, it’s just going to be hard to get FIBA on board.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
D-League is ripe for expansion
Sep 15, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Harris unsure whether Orlando will let him hit restricted free agency
Sep 15, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Blake Griffin has done some brilliant marketing campaigns.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Liz shot 49 percent on 3-points in World Cup
Sep 15, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
Dolan said he’s let Phil Jackson run the team, and Jackson affirms Dolan has so far
Sep 15, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Duke coach benefits big time in recruiting from World Cup, Olympic coaching
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
And so it begins.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
When do scouts cross a line?
Sep 15, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Chalmers thought Heat wouldn’t re-sign him after disastrous NBA Finals
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
It’s close… well, not the shaves but the quality of beard.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 4
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28