Dec 6, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than I love a good barbecued brisket (well, maybe not that much, but close)…
• I like the Nets new herringbone pattered court. It’s a Jay-Z idea, but he says the league hated it and tried to block it, saying it would mess up television screens. And it might your grandpa’s television with the tubes, but I think you are safe with an HD flat screen.
• Speaking of the Nets, Andray Blatche says he might resign with them after they win the championship. Good luck with that. (Actually, credit where credit is due, Blatche is playing his best basketball of his career this season.)
• Here is a fantastic breakdown from our old friend Rob Mahoney (now at SI) of what Kobe Bryant are doing different this year to have him scoring more efficiently than in years.
• The Kobe Assist — when other teams are so focused on the shooter that guys get the offensive rebound off a miss and it’s like an assist.
• Kobe Bryant just reached the 30,000 point plateau, becoming only the fifth NBA player ever to get there. What current players are likely to join him?
• Mike Brown wishes Kobe Bryant and all the Lakers well. He wants to see them win. Brown says he is comfortable and happy. If I was going to get $10 million to sit around my house I’d be comfortable and happy. too.
• Metta World Peace insists the Lakers can still go 72-10 this season and tie the Bulls all-time record. Even though they would need to go 63-0 the rest of the way. I think he just triggered an automatic league drug test.
• A fascinating statistical journey into the land of expected points per shot and shot location.
• Fans around Philadelphia are taking pictures of Andrew Bynum out and about in town, doing pretty much everything but playing basketball. There still is no timeline for that. But he is playing pop-a-shot.
• Ken Berger at CBS says that there seem to be signs of progress between Royce White and the Houston Rockets. Slow progress, but progress. I hope so. (Berger also has some “what if the Lakers want to trade Pau Gasol scenarios.)
• Another report that Greg Oden is thinking about trying to make an NBA comeback.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3