Sounds like Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki is out until 2013

Dec 6, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki AP

Dallas is going to have to keep struggling along without Dirk Nowitzki for longer than he wanted or expected.

Nowitzki had said he hoped to be back in mid-December, which is about what the timeline for recovery from his knee surgery during training camp suggested could happen.

But it’s not going to happen, Nowitzki told the Dallas Morning News. Rather, he sounds like a guy we likely won’t see on the court until after the Rose Parade and a bunch of bowl games.

“We said from the beginning the only way I could get back on the court was when the swelling is gone and the quad strength is back. And so we got a long way to go.

“Now, it’s already December 5th. I don’t think middle of December is happening now to be honest. That was my goal a couple weeks ago. But the swelling was in there too long and it held me back too long and I couldn’t start working soon enough.”

There are some good signs — Nowitzki was out on the court taking shots, although not running or cutting, and he said they have increased his rehab workload. He says the knee is feeling better. But recovery is a process and even when he can run and cut there are a lot of practices to go through to get back to being ready to play.

It looks more and more like we will not see Nowitzki until 2013.

Without him the Mavericks are 8-10, with a middle of the pack offense and defense. Even coming off knee surgery he should certainly help an offense that has struggled to create good looks and has fallen back to relying on Derek Fisher at the point.

1. storebrandcookies - Dec 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Oh my god! I misread the title for a second there, I thought you meant the whole season there. Get well Dirk.

• jjared1101 - Dec 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I hope he is actually out for the season, or at least taking as long as he needs. I don’t want him coming back at even 95%. As much as I love the Mavs, they aren’t going anywhere this year as far as contending for a championship. I hope Carlisle understands this and gets the young guys in a lot of playing time, while Donnie and Cuban make necessary moves for the future. They have another chance to do a complete rebuild next year with their cap space, and it’s apparent that they only possible FA that might stay long term is OJ.

2. dls612 - Dec 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I’m assuming this means that the world won’t end 2012! Yes!

3. loungefly74 - Dec 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

sad to hear…dirk is a good guy. that said…

wow…how the Mavs have stumbled since winning the title. kinda proves that staying on top is tough…heck to compete year-in year-out is difficult. part of the reason why the C’s and Lakers have endured as fan favorites…

4. davidcl77 - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Doesn’t matter. That idiot owner of his screwed his team. They are history.

5. abchome - Dec 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

From champion to lottery in 2 years!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches