Dec 6, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Whatever the reason — because they want to see the entire team together healthy before making a decision, or because they promised Steve Nash he could play with him — the Lakers are not talking about trading Pau Gasol yet.
But other teams are trying to talk to them, and the Lakers are saying turning a deaf ear, reports Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLA.com.
The Los Angeles Lakers, largely at the behest of general manager Mitch Kupchak, have rebuffed trade inquiries from at least two teams for Pau Gasol, according to sources with knowledge of the Lakers’ thinking.
The Toronto Raptors and Minnesota Timberwolves have both recently tried to engage the Lakers in trade discussions for Gasol, sources told ESPN.com, but the Lakers continue to tell teams that call that they will not consider dealing the Spaniard until L.A. can fully assess its roster after the return of injured point guard Steve Nash.
There are plenty of Lakers fans wiling to trade Gasol now. Of course, there were plenty of Lakers fans willing to trade him in the middle of him helping the Lakers win two NBA championships — because he plays a finesse game some fans don’t seem to appreciate what he does well and only see the moments he doesn’t make plays. Which is why it’s good Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant understood him and his value.
But the question of if he and Dwight Howard can fit in the Mike D’Antoni offense is still unanswered. The Lakers — or at least Kupchak — are smart enough to get some answers before making a big move.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49