Dec 6, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
If you see Dion Waiters walking around Cleveland pushing a tiny little stroller, know that is coach’s orders.
As part of some rookie hazing, Cavaliers coach Byron Scott gave his team’s rookies — Waiters, Tyler Zeller and Kevin Jones — a baby doll and strollers to match. The kind 3-year-old girls can’t get enough of. Then told the rookies to carry it all around, reports ESPN.
Waiters and Zeller received their baby dolls at shootaround while Jones had a baby doll and a stroller waiting for him a couple hours before the game. The players are trying to take the baby dolls, and the jokes that come with them, in stride.
“Just rookie initiation, I guess,” Jones said with a laugh. “Just trying to have fun with it. You’re only a rookie once, so you just got to have fun with it.”
That’s a pretty creative one, but fits with the theme of rookies with Hello Kitty backpacks and being forced to wear a dress out to a team dinner. It’s just part of the welcome to the NBA ritual.
Nate Robinson was reflecting on his hazing with Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com and said the silly stuff wasn’t what got to him.
“The worst thing I probably I had to do—because me, I was a clown, so I didn’t really mind all the funny stuff we had to do—but I think one of the things I didn’t like was one day at a practice, a couple times at practice and shootaround, the guys would kick the ball all the way up to the top of the stadium and we had to go get the balls. That sucked.”
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 17
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 12
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 31
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 20
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead