Dec 6, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
If you see Dion Waiters walking around Cleveland pushing a tiny little stroller, know that is coach’s orders.
As part of some rookie hazing, Cavaliers coach Byron Scott gave his team’s rookies — Waiters, Tyler Zeller and Kevin Jones — a baby doll and strollers to match. The kind 3-year-old girls can’t get enough of. Then told the rookies to carry it all around, reports ESPN.
Waiters and Zeller received their baby dolls at shootaround while Jones had a baby doll and a stroller waiting for him a couple hours before the game. The players are trying to take the baby dolls, and the jokes that come with them, in stride.
“Just rookie initiation, I guess,” Jones said with a laugh. “Just trying to have fun with it. You’re only a rookie once, so you just got to have fun with it.”
That’s a pretty creative one, but fits with the theme of rookies with Hello Kitty backpacks and being forced to wear a dress out to a team dinner. It’s just part of the welcome to the NBA ritual.
Nate Robinson was reflecting on his hazing with Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com and said the silly stuff wasn’t what got to him.
“The worst thing I probably I had to do—because me, I was a clown, so I didn’t really mind all the funny stuff we had to do—but I think one of the things I didn’t like was one day at a practice, a couple times at practice and shootaround, the guys would kick the ball all the way up to the top of the stadium and we had to go get the balls. That sucked.”
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 8
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 10
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 5
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7