Dec 6, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
LeBron James will spend the rest of his career — however long that is — being compared to Michael Jordan. Not because he should be or that it’s fair, but because LeBron is the one player today who could someday, with enough rings, enter the GOAT conversation. Sorry Kobe.
But LeBron has never been on a court with Jordan…
Unless you look at the wallpaper on LeBron’s phone, then it looks like he has.
[LeBron James] revealed on Wednesday that the screensaver of his phone is a Photoshop image of himself handling the ball while guarded by Michael Jordan in his prime. “Jordan was my superhero growing up,” James said. “He was the guy I feel helped me get to where I am today. As a competitor, who would not want to go against the best? That’s like asking [Tom] Brady would he want to go against Montana in the fourth quarter.”
We’ll never see LeBron and Jordan on the court together, I guess we’ll have to let NBA 2K12 decide. It is the ultimate arbiter.
LeBron and Michael are different players with different styles. Comparing the two directly is not apples to apples because of LeBron’s size and versatility. Jordan was the better pure scorer, LeBron the better passer. And it goes on and on. But that you can even start to have this conversation says what you need to know about LeBron and where he stands (now that he has a ring).
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)