Dec 6, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Mike Woodson said the decision would be Carmelo Anthony’s — if he said he could play Thursday night against the Heat, he would play.
But he is out, tweets Brian Windhorst of ESPN (and confirmed by other tweets from the arena).
Carmelo Anthony will not play for Knicks vs. Heat with injured finger. Tried warming up, couldn’t use left hand well.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) December 7, 2012
Anthony cut middle finger on his left hand, his non-shooting hand, diving into the stands after a ball on Wednesday night in a win over the Bobcats. He needed five stitches to close the cut.
It was thought he would play through it for this big game — against the Heat on national television against LeBron James and Dwyane Wade — but apparently it was bothering him too much, he couldn’t have the control of the ball he wanted. He is on the sidelines in a suit with his finger taped up.
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 20
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 25
- Kevin Durant: Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are greatest of all time 61
- LeBron James becomes Obamacare pitchman 38
- Report: Houston Rockets to pursue Carmelo Anthony this summer 31