Dec 6, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Mike Woodson said the decision would be Carmelo Anthony’s — if he said he could play Thursday night against the Heat, he would play.
But he is out, tweets Brian Windhorst of ESPN (and confirmed by other tweets from the arena).
Carmelo Anthony will not play for Knicks vs. Heat with injured finger. Tried warming up, couldn’t use left hand well.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) December 7, 2012
Anthony cut middle finger on his left hand, his non-shooting hand, diving into the stands after a ball on Wednesday night in a win over the Bobcats. He needed five stitches to close the cut.
It was thought he would play through it for this big game — against the Heat on national television against LeBron James and Dwyane Wade — but apparently it was bothering him too much, he couldn’t have the control of the ball he wanted. He is on the sidelines in a suit with his finger taped up.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32