Dec 6, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Mike Woodson said the decision would be Carmelo Anthony’s — if he said he could play Thursday night against the Heat, he would play.
But he is out, tweets Brian Windhorst of ESPN (and confirmed by other tweets from the arena).
Carmelo Anthony will not play for Knicks vs. Heat with injured finger. Tried warming up, couldn’t use left hand well.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) December 7, 2012
Anthony cut middle finger on his left hand, his non-shooting hand, diving into the stands after a ball on Wednesday night in a win over the Bobcats. He needed five stitches to close the cut.
It was thought he would play through it for this big game — against the Heat on national television against LeBron James and Dwyane Wade — but apparently it was bothering him too much, he couldn’t have the control of the ball he wanted. He is on the sidelines in a suit with his finger taped up.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 0
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 24
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 18
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 25
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 28
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 38
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29