Dec 5, 2012, 11:42 AM EDT
We’re not in the habit of bringing you highlights of missed dunks or shots that don’t count, but for this clip of Kevin Durant from the Thunder’s win over the Nets on Tuesday, an exception needs to be made.
This one is great for a lot of reasons. Durant seemed to have been eyeing this one from the moment he crossed half court, and possibly sped up the possession to force a two-for-one opportunity with around 35 seconds or so remaining in the half.
The offense was spread, and the paint was wide open. All Durant had to do was blow by his man, and then, it was time for takeoff.
Andray Blatche came over late to try to take the charge, but all that did was make Durant leap higher, to the point where his shoulder was flush with the rim. He was forced to take off maybe a little sooner than he wanted to, which caused him to literally try to throw the ball down through the hoop instead of being able to grab the rim for the more official slam.
“I wanted to finish it so bad. I know Dray from him playing in D.C. and that’s where I’m from, so I’ll talk a little trash to him after that one,” Durant said, via the Associated Press.
Durant said it probably would have been his best dunk in the NBA had it gone down, laughing that he didn’t jump higher because he “didn’t have no more left in the tank.”
After watching this clip more than once, jumping any higher simply doesn’t seem humanly possible.
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games