Dec 5, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
The last few possessions of this game were pretty crazy, so it’s only fitting that things ended on a shot like this.
The Knicks beat the Bobcats on Wednesday in a game that was closer than expected, likely due to the fact that it was a look-ahead contest for them with a nationally televised game against the Heat in Miami on the horizon Thursday night.
But New York managed to keep it close enough to have a shot, and the youth and inexperience of the Bobcats ended up being their downfall in the game’s closing minutes.
Charlotte had its chances, with possession of the ball in a tie game with under a minute to play. Ben Gordon turned it over on a traveling violation up top, and then after Raymond Felton missed a jumper, Kidd-Gilchrist threw a brutal pass that was semi-cross court, and that had no chance of being received by his teammate.
Smith deflected it into Felton’s hands, and after Felton passed up a chance to go to the basket in a two-on-one situation, he kicked it out to Smith, and it was comic relief time as he couldn’t decide what to do next.
Smith first dribbled out toward the time line to reset the play, but with precious seconds ticking away, Jason Kidd nearly tackled the referee in calling for timeout before disaster struck, and the opportunity to win in regulation was lost.
Smith was able to compose himself once play resumed, and this beautiful game-winner was the result.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 21
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)