Dec 5, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
The last few possessions of this game were pretty crazy, so it’s only fitting that things ended on a shot like this.
The Knicks beat the Bobcats on Wednesday in a game that was closer than expected, likely due to the fact that it was a look-ahead contest for them with a nationally televised game against the Heat in Miami on the horizon Thursday night.
But New York managed to keep it close enough to have a shot, and the youth and inexperience of the Bobcats ended up being their downfall in the game’s closing minutes.
Charlotte had its chances, with possession of the ball in a tie game with under a minute to play. Ben Gordon turned it over on a traveling violation up top, and then after Raymond Felton missed a jumper, Kidd-Gilchrist threw a brutal pass that was semi-cross court, and that had no chance of being received by his teammate.
Smith deflected it into Felton’s hands, and after Felton passed up a chance to go to the basket in a two-on-one situation, he kicked it out to Smith, and it was comic relief time as he couldn’t decide what to do next.
Smith first dribbled out toward the time line to reset the play, but with precious seconds ticking away, Jason Kidd nearly tackled the referee in calling for timeout before disaster struck, and the opportunity to win in regulation was lost.
Smith was able to compose himself once play resumed, and this beautiful game-winner was the result.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20