Dec 5, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
The idea of the point guard in the position-less Miami Heat offense is… not traditional. You may bring the ball up but LeBron James or Dwyane Wade really initiate the offense. You need to be a good spot-up shooter who can play in transition.
Mario Chalmers has never been great in that role, but he’s been the best they had. And now they will be without him for a week to 10 days.
He could be the other thing the Heat lost against the Wizards Tuesday, reports Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel. They are saying up to five games he will be out.
Chalmers tore a tendon and will be out at least seven to 10 days, according to a source. The injury occurred in the first half of the Heat’s 105-101 loss. Chalmers was taken to the locker room, returning for the second half with his finger in a splint.
“I caught a pass,” Chalmers said after the game. “Somehow my finger got caught in the ball.”
Sharp passes injuring fingers is part of the game. For the Heat, that normally means more Norris Cole, who is shooting 36.8 percent this season, but he was out Tuesday with a mild hamstring injury. Don’t expect the Heat to go looking for free agents yet, they have a full 15-man roster so to get someone they have to cut someone. And they aren’t that desperate yet in December.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay