Chauncey Billups out again with a new ankle injury

Dec 5, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT

Chauncey Billups, Randy Foye

Chauncey Billups has only been back with the Clippers for the team’s last three games, but he’s already sidelined once again due to injury.

Billups went down with a torn Achilles tendon last season, and worked extremely hard to make it back.

But he was forced to sit out of Wednesday night’s home contest against the Mavericks due to an inflamed tendon in his left ankle, a new ailment that is unrelated to his previous injury.

From Melissa Rohlin of the Los Angeles Times:

“I just kind of feel like I’ve worked way too hard to get back to play hurt, you know what I’m saying,” Billups said.

Billups, who returned to the court Nov. 28 against Minnesota after recovering from the Achilles’ injury he sustained last February, said that his ankle began bothering him during a game against Utah on Monday.

“Honestly in that Utah game … it was really painful,” he said.

“I couldn’t really push off of my left foot. It was just really weak. I couldn’t explode off it. I couldn’t cut. Everything I was doing, I was just getting through it. I’m like, ‘I should be better than this.'”

There’s no timetable for Billups to return, and obviously the team isn’t going to rush him back before he’s fully ready.

Billups wasn’t exactly his old self yet in the three games he did play this season, posting averages of just over seven points and two assists per game in 20 minutes of action. He did, however, flop his way to some free throws that were instrumental in the Clippers’ win in Utah on Monday.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Thunder sign Talib Zanna

Aug 31, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT

2015 NBA D League Showcase Getty Images

Don’t expect him to make the regular-season roster this season

2. Report: Nick Young actually inquired about playing for Australia

Aug 31, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Nick Young, Iggy Azalea AP

Could Lakers wing play in the 2016 Olympics?

3. Report: Tristan Thompson won’t accept less than max from Cavaliers, his agent thinks Raptors will offer it next summer

Aug 31, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Thompson might leverage the max from Cleveland, but it probably shouldn’t be because of this Toronto threat

4. Canada cuts Olivier Hanlan, finalizes roster FIBA Americas with nine NBA players

Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Andrew Wiggins, Cory Joseph AP

By dropping an NBA draft pick, Canadians show how far they’ve come

5. Nigeria beats Angola to win AfroBasket, qualify for Rio Olympics

Aug 30, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT

Olympics Day 10 - Basketball Getty Images

Al-Farouq Aminu is headed back to the Olympics.

6. Sneaky good summer move: Spurs trade for Ray McCallum

Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

We’ll all look back at the McCallum trade and say “it’s the Spurs doing Spurs things again.”

7. Report: Heat want to take long look at young guards before trading Mario Chalmers

Aug 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Mario Chalmers AP

Can Johnson take on the backup point guard role if Chalmers was moved?

8. Gov. Scott Walker defends $250 million Milwaukee arena deal as “fiscally responsible”

Aug 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Scott Walker AP

“You’re talking about being a fiscally responsible person, I am. That’s precisely why I did this.” —Scott Walker

9. Hornets’ coach says rookie Frank Kaminsky needs to add strength

Aug 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

2015 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

He may start at the four for Charlotte this year.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches