Dec 5, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Chauncey Billups became the latest offender of the league’s policy against flopping on Wednesday, receiving a warning for this kickout of his left leg late in the Clippers win over the Jazz on December 3.
It’s a clear flop, but the problem is that it worked to perfection. L.A. was trailing by two, and Billups was awarded three free throws for his actions. He made two of the three, and it helped the Clippers come away with a 105-104 victory.
It almost seems like the league’s purpose with these warnings to put the responsibility of calls made by the officials on the players, rather than on the referees themselves. The fines need to be harsher or suspensions need to be levied if that’s the true intention, because there’s no taking away those three free throws that were illegitimately earned by Billups.
- Doc Rivers, Clippers players oppose raising NBA’s age limit 10
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 61
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 31
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 43
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33