Dec 5, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
The Celtics are looking for depth along the front line. Kenyon Martin is the best free agent big man out there on the market.
But with Martin can come an attitude — he had issue with Vinny Del Negro last season, he’s outspoken and has the reputation of rubbing both management and some players the wrong way — and the Celtics don’t want to take that risk, so they are moving on down their list. Martin’s agent Andy Miller spoke with the Boston Globe:
Agent Andy Miller, who also represents Celtics center Kevin Garnett, said he has not had a conversation about Martin with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge since July.
So, if not Martin then who? This is not going to thrill Celtics fans:
Erick Dampier. The Celtics may bring him in for a look, reports the Globe. Dampier played 15 unimpressive games for the Hawks last season, but GMs tend to remember what they see and Dampier played a serviceable 13 minutes a game against Boston in the playoffs last season (the Hawks used him to counter the Celtics lack of size).
Doc Rivers called the Celtics soft last week. Ask yourself if Dampier is going to solve that.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49