Dec 5, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
The Celtics are looking for depth along the front line. Kenyon Martin is the best free agent big man out there on the market.
But with Martin can come an attitude — he had issue with Vinny Del Negro last season, he’s outspoken and has the reputation of rubbing both management and some players the wrong way — and the Celtics don’t want to take that risk, so they are moving on down their list. Martin’s agent Andy Miller spoke with the Boston Globe:
Agent Andy Miller, who also represents Celtics center Kevin Garnett, said he has not had a conversation about Martin with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge since July.
So, if not Martin then who? This is not going to thrill Celtics fans:
Erick Dampier. The Celtics may bring him in for a look, reports the Globe. Dampier played 15 unimpressive games for the Hawks last season, but GMs tend to remember what they see and Dampier played a serviceable 13 minutes a game against Boston in the playoffs last season (the Hawks used him to counter the Celtics lack of size).
Doc Rivers called the Celtics soft last week. Ask yourself if Dampier is going to solve that.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32