Dec 5, 2012, 10:20 AM EST
The Celtics are looking for depth along the front line. Kenyon Martin is the best free agent big man out there on the market.
But with Martin can come an attitude — he had issue with Vinny Del Negro last season, he’s outspoken and has the reputation of rubbing both management and some players the wrong way — and the Celtics don’t want to take that risk, so they are moving on down their list. Martin’s agent Andy Miller spoke with the Boston Globe:
Agent Andy Miller, who also represents Celtics center Kevin Garnett, said he has not had a conversation about Martin with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge since July.
So, if not Martin then who? This is not going to thrill Celtics fans:
Erick Dampier. The Celtics may bring him in for a look, reports the Globe. Dampier played 15 unimpressive games for the Hawks last season, but GMs tend to remember what they see and Dampier played a serviceable 13 minutes a game against Boston in the playoffs last season (the Hawks used him to counter the Celtics lack of size).
Doc Rivers called the Celtics soft last week. Ask yourself if Dampier is going to solve that.
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 0
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10