Dec 5, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
The Celtics are looking for depth along the front line. Kenyon Martin is the best free agent big man out there on the market.
But with Martin can come an attitude — he had issue with Vinny Del Negro last season, he’s outspoken and has the reputation of rubbing both management and some players the wrong way — and the Celtics don’t want to take that risk, so they are moving on down their list. Martin’s agent Andy Miller spoke with the Boston Globe:
Agent Andy Miller, who also represents Celtics center Kevin Garnett, said he has not had a conversation about Martin with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge since July.
So, if not Martin then who? This is not going to thrill Celtics fans:
Erick Dampier. The Celtics may bring him in for a look, reports the Globe. Dampier played 15 unimpressive games for the Hawks last season, but GMs tend to remember what they see and Dampier played a serviceable 13 minutes a game against Boston in the playoffs last season (the Hawks used him to counter the Celtics lack of size).
Doc Rivers called the Celtics soft last week. Ask yourself if Dampier is going to solve that.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11