Dec 5, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
The Celtics are looking for depth along the front line. Kenyon Martin is the best free agent big man out there on the market.
But with Martin can come an attitude — he had issue with Vinny Del Negro last season, he’s outspoken and has the reputation of rubbing both management and some players the wrong way — and the Celtics don’t want to take that risk, so they are moving on down their list. Martin’s agent Andy Miller spoke with the Boston Globe:
Agent Andy Miller, who also represents Celtics center Kevin Garnett, said he has not had a conversation about Martin with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge since July.
So, if not Martin then who? This is not going to thrill Celtics fans:
Erick Dampier. The Celtics may bring him in for a look, reports the Globe. Dampier played 15 unimpressive games for the Hawks last season, but GMs tend to remember what they see and Dampier played a serviceable 13 minutes a game against Boston in the playoffs last season (the Hawks used him to counter the Celtics lack of size).
Doc Rivers called the Celtics soft last week. Ask yourself if Dampier is going to solve that.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49