Dec 5, 2012, 7:25 PM EST
We had this same discussion a couple years ago.
When Allen Iverson was playing in Turkey, a report came out of Philadelphia about how Iverson was just hemorrhaging money and was broke. Which is stunning for a guy who made an estimated $154 million in NBA salary alone. Other reports have echoed this.
That was followed by a counter report (out of New York) that Iverson was not that bad off because a wise financial advisor and friend had essentially put Iverson’s money in a trust that paid him a yearly allotment and he couldn’t touch the rest. I want to believe the latter report, but the truth likely is somewhere in the middle.
According to docs, Allen brings in $62,500 in monthly income, but his expenses are FAR, FAR, greater … costing him a cool $358,376.66 PER MONTH!!!!…
A large chunk — $125,749.33 to be exact — is spent paying off various creditors (like his jeweler) … and some goes to his mortgages (but not for long, since his ATL crib is about to be auctioned off).
But Allen says he blows a lot on OTHER expenses too … like $10,000/month on clothes, $10,000/month on grocery/house items, $1,000/month on dry cleaning, $5,000/month on entertainment, $5,000/month on restaurants … and so on.
Those figures need a disclaimer — be careful trusting the numbers lawyers use in a divorce case. Or any case. The goal here is for Iverson’s lawyers to make him as destitute as they can, therefore reducing what he has to pay his soon-to-be ex-wife.
My guess is Iverson is living way, way beyond his means anymore. I hope that a smart financial advisor did leave a safety net there for him.
In the end, who knows what is real. But this is the kind of controversy that has shadowed Iverson since he was in high school, it’s part of what has made him a polarizing figure. Which is a shame, because his game was so much fun.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 12
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17