Dec 4, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
On paper it is the biggest mismatch of the year — the 12-3 Miami Heat (tied for the best record in the NBA) vs. the 1-13 Washington Wizards, clear and away the worst team in the NBA. The Heat have the second best offense in the NBA (110.5 points per 100 possessions), the Wizards have the worst offense in the NBA (92.8).
But the Washington Wizards could pull the biggest upset of the season.
Seriously, it could happen and not just because the Heat bus got lost on the way to the arena and they never showed up. Although that may be the most likely scenario for a Wizards win. But people do win the lottery, lightning does strike twice and a 15 seed can beat a 2 seed in the NCAA Basketball Tournament.
So, how does Washington do it other than paying off the Heat bus driver? CSNWashington.com asked a few Wizards.
Actually, Wittman believes that if the Wizards can knock down their open shots, eliminate turnovers and rebound the ball, they can keep pace with the defending champions.
Okay. Play some fundamentally sound ball and hope your terrible shooting team gets hot for a night. That could happen, I guess.
Bradley Beal, what do you think?
“We don’t want to play halfcourt,” he said. “We love to play fast. It’s going to be a fast game, I can guarantee you that. It may get a little sloppy at times with guys just going up and down the floor.
“We’re not going to change the way we play for them. We’re going to stick to what we’re doing and make them try to stop us as well. We’re not going to back down. We’re going to come at them hard.”
You’re going to run and gun with the Heat? Really? You chose… poorly.
By the way: “We’re going to stick to what we’re doing and make them try to stop us as well.” Um, everybody pretty much has stopped you. Easily. Might be time to try something different. Just a suggestion.
But if a bunch of Wizards have their best game of the season tonight — Beal, Emeka Okafor, Martell Webster, Kevin Seraphin and the rest — they could hang around in this game. Still wouldn’t bet on them winning, though.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 0
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11