Dec 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
You know how long we are going to see teams use hack-a-Dwight against Dwight Howard and the Lakers?
Until it stops working.
Orlando fouled Howard seven times in the final seven minutes of their game Sunday night, and the Lakers were up six points when Howard entered the game. While Howard hit 7-of-14 free throws in that quarter the strategy threw the Lakers off their game (at both ends), and Orlando outscored the Lakers 35-19 the rest of the way and won.
The Houston Rockets are no dummies, and coach Kelvin Sampson told CSNHouston.com you may well see it Tuesday night when the teams face off.
“We’ve done that with other players too,” Sampson said. “I mean, I remember we were in Milwaukee and we beat Dallas playing Hack-a-Brendan (Haywood). I’m sure teams in the past have played Hack-an-Omer.
“If you have a choice of wrapping him (Dwight Howard) up or give him a dunk, then that’s an easy decision. Make him make the free throws.”
Chandler Parsons got to the bottom line.
“It worked,” Chandler Parsons said. “I think it’s smart to do it every now and then. I don’t think you should rely on it. I think, hopefully, we’re not in a situation where we have to do that, but it’s up to the coaching staff and it obviously worked last night. If he’s struggling like that, there’s no reason to give him anything easy.”
So enjoy the Howard parade to the free throw line Tuesday night. Nothing makes for good television like that.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14