Dec 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
You know how long we are going to see teams use hack-a-Dwight against Dwight Howard and the Lakers?
Until it stops working.
Orlando fouled Howard seven times in the final seven minutes of their game Sunday night, and the Lakers were up six points when Howard entered the game. While Howard hit 7-of-14 free throws in that quarter the strategy threw the Lakers off their game (at both ends), and Orlando outscored the Lakers 35-19 the rest of the way and won.
The Houston Rockets are no dummies, and coach Kelvin Sampson told CSNHouston.com you may well see it Tuesday night when the teams face off.
“We’ve done that with other players too,” Sampson said. “I mean, I remember we were in Milwaukee and we beat Dallas playing Hack-a-Brendan (Haywood). I’m sure teams in the past have played Hack-an-Omer.
“If you have a choice of wrapping him (Dwight Howard) up or give him a dunk, then that’s an easy decision. Make him make the free throws.”
Chandler Parsons got to the bottom line.
“It worked,” Chandler Parsons said. “I think it’s smart to do it every now and then. I don’t think you should rely on it. I think, hopefully, we’re not in a situation where we have to do that, but it’s up to the coaching staff and it obviously worked last night. If he’s struggling like that, there’s no reason to give him anything easy.”
So enjoy the Howard parade to the free throw line Tuesday night. Nothing makes for good television like that.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 20
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 18
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26