Dec 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
You know how long we are going to see teams use hack-a-Dwight against Dwight Howard and the Lakers?
Until it stops working.
Orlando fouled Howard seven times in the final seven minutes of their game Sunday night, and the Lakers were up six points when Howard entered the game. While Howard hit 7-of-14 free throws in that quarter the strategy threw the Lakers off their game (at both ends), and Orlando outscored the Lakers 35-19 the rest of the way and won.
The Houston Rockets are no dummies, and coach Kelvin Sampson told CSNHouston.com you may well see it Tuesday night when the teams face off.
“We’ve done that with other players too,” Sampson said. “I mean, I remember we were in Milwaukee and we beat Dallas playing Hack-a-Brendan (Haywood). I’m sure teams in the past have played Hack-an-Omer.
“If you have a choice of wrapping him (Dwight Howard) up or give him a dunk, then that’s an easy decision. Make him make the free throws.”
Chandler Parsons got to the bottom line.
“It worked,” Chandler Parsons said. “I think it’s smart to do it every now and then. I don’t think you should rely on it. I think, hopefully, we’re not in a situation where we have to do that, but it’s up to the coaching staff and it obviously worked last night. If he’s struggling like that, there’s no reason to give him anything easy.”
So enjoy the Howard parade to the free throw line Tuesday night. Nothing makes for good television like that.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 24
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)