Dec 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
You know how long we are going to see teams use hack-a-Dwight against Dwight Howard and the Lakers?
Until it stops working.
Orlando fouled Howard seven times in the final seven minutes of their game Sunday night, and the Lakers were up six points when Howard entered the game. While Howard hit 7-of-14 free throws in that quarter the strategy threw the Lakers off their game (at both ends), and Orlando outscored the Lakers 35-19 the rest of the way and won.
The Houston Rockets are no dummies, and coach Kelvin Sampson told CSNHouston.com you may well see it Tuesday night when the teams face off.
“We’ve done that with other players too,” Sampson said. “I mean, I remember we were in Milwaukee and we beat Dallas playing Hack-a-Brendan (Haywood). I’m sure teams in the past have played Hack-an-Omer.
“If you have a choice of wrapping him (Dwight Howard) up or give him a dunk, then that’s an easy decision. Make him make the free throws.”
Chandler Parsons got to the bottom line.
“It worked,” Chandler Parsons said. “I think it’s smart to do it every now and then. I don’t think you should rely on it. I think, hopefully, we’re not in a situation where we have to do that, but it’s up to the coaching staff and it obviously worked last night. If he’s struggling like that, there’s no reason to give him anything easy.”
So enjoy the Howard parade to the free throw line Tuesday night. Nothing makes for good television like that.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 2
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 27
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 3
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19