Dec 4, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
Derrick Rose is getting better — that is video of him running sprints at the Bulls practice facility on Monday. That’s a good sign.
Then comes this report out of the Chicago Sun-Times (hat tip to SLAM)
According to an NBA source, while ‘‘The Return’’ to the court for NBA games is still up in the air for Rose, the all-everything point guard could be just weeks away from practicing with the Bulls again after surgery on his left anterior cruciate ligament last May.
‘That’s the belief that a couple of [the Bulls’] players are under,’’ the source said.
The former NBA MVP’s return to game action has long been slated for February, somewhere around the All-Star break, with the Bulls always saying that he could take as long as he wanted. Rose is their franchise anchor and they want and need him healthy for the long-term, not rushing back to play games in December and January. Rose’s rehab efforts have been chronicled by an adidas “The Return” video series.
When he does return, expect Rose to take a while to return to his old self. That is usually the pattern with guys coming off an ACL injury — first they have to build up the strength in their leg, then they have to learn to trust the reconstructed knee and be able to play without thinking about it. With Rose’s game based in large part on his explosiveness and quick stops and starts, trusting the knee could take time.
But with him back, the Bulls become the team to beat in a Central division where the Bucks and Pacers have been mediocre themselves.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6