Dec 4, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
Derrick Rose is getting better — that is video of him running sprints at the Bulls practice facility on Monday. That’s a good sign.
Then comes this report out of the Chicago Sun-Times (hat tip to SLAM)
According to an NBA source, while ‘‘The Return’’ to the court for NBA games is still up in the air for Rose, the all-everything point guard could be just weeks away from practicing with the Bulls again after surgery on his left anterior cruciate ligament last May.
‘That’s the belief that a couple of [the Bulls’] players are under,’’ the source said.
The former NBA MVP’s return to game action has long been slated for February, somewhere around the All-Star break, with the Bulls always saying that he could take as long as he wanted. Rose is their franchise anchor and they want and need him healthy for the long-term, not rushing back to play games in December and January. Rose’s rehab efforts have been chronicled by an adidas “The Return” video series.
When he does return, expect Rose to take a while to return to his old self. That is usually the pattern with guys coming off an ACL injury — first they have to build up the strength in their leg, then they have to learn to trust the reconstructed knee and be able to play without thinking about it. With Rose’s game based in large part on his explosiveness and quick stops and starts, trusting the knee could take time.
But with him back, the Bulls become the team to beat in a Central division where the Bucks and Pacers have been mediocre themselves.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 28
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 4
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 19
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19