Dec 4, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
Derrick Rose is getting better — that is video of him running sprints at the Bulls practice facility on Monday. That’s a good sign.
Then comes this report out of the Chicago Sun-Times (hat tip to SLAM)
According to an NBA source, while ‘‘The Return’’ to the court for NBA games is still up in the air for Rose, the all-everything point guard could be just weeks away from practicing with the Bulls again after surgery on his left anterior cruciate ligament last May.
‘That’s the belief that a couple of [the Bulls’] players are under,’’ the source said.
The former NBA MVP’s return to game action has long been slated for February, somewhere around the All-Star break, with the Bulls always saying that he could take as long as he wanted. Rose is their franchise anchor and they want and need him healthy for the long-term, not rushing back to play games in December and January. Rose’s rehab efforts have been chronicled by an adidas “The Return” video series.
When he does return, expect Rose to take a while to return to his old self. That is usually the pattern with guys coming off an ACL injury — first they have to build up the strength in their leg, then they have to learn to trust the reconstructed knee and be able to play without thinking about it. With Rose’s game based in large part on his explosiveness and quick stops and starts, trusting the knee could take time.
But with him back, the Bulls become the team to beat in a Central division where the Bucks and Pacers have been mediocre themselves.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10