Dec 4, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
There is only one real cure for tendinitis — rest.
And the Lakers are going to give Pau Gasol all he needs.
Gasol will sit out Tuesday night as the Lakers start a three-game road trip in Houston and he is listed as day-to-day, but Lakers coach Mike told ESPNLA.com they will rest him until he is healthy.
“We got to get him healthy,” D’Antoni said. “Whatever it takes — one game, two games, 10 games — I don’t know. It’s day to day but he’s got to be healthy. It wasn’t fair (to him). He’s trying to battle through some stuff and in this league, you just can’t do that.”
This is bound to start some people saying “they are resting him so he doesn’t get hurt before the trade goes down.” No. That’s not it. That’s not what any league source is saying right now. The Lakers are not shopping Gasol… yet. ESPN covered the yet.
However, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently spoken to Gasol’s representatives and the gist of the conversation was that if Gasol is unable to adjust to D’Antoni’s system, the team will have no choice but to search for possible trade scenarios.
The Lakers want to have a healthy Gasol and a healthy Steve Nash and see what they’ve got, then make adjustments if they have to.
It may just be a while before we see that.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)