Dec 4, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
There is only one real cure for tendinitis — rest.
And the Lakers are going to give Pau Gasol all he needs.
Gasol will sit out Tuesday night as the Lakers start a three-game road trip in Houston and he is listed as day-to-day, but Lakers coach Mike told ESPNLA.com they will rest him until he is healthy.
“We got to get him healthy,” D’Antoni said. “Whatever it takes — one game, two games, 10 games — I don’t know. It’s day to day but he’s got to be healthy. It wasn’t fair (to him). He’s trying to battle through some stuff and in this league, you just can’t do that.”
This is bound to start some people saying “they are resting him so he doesn’t get hurt before the trade goes down.” No. That’s not it. That’s not what any league source is saying right now. The Lakers are not shopping Gasol… yet. ESPN covered the yet.
However, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently spoken to Gasol’s representatives and the gist of the conversation was that if Gasol is unable to adjust to D’Antoni’s system, the team will have no choice but to search for possible trade scenarios.
The Lakers want to have a healthy Gasol and a healthy Steve Nash and see what they’ve got, then make adjustments if they have to.
It may just be a while before we see that.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to oversee basketball operations 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 13
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14