Dec 4, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
There is only one real cure for tendinitis — rest.
And the Lakers are going to give Pau Gasol all he needs.
Gasol will sit out Tuesday night as the Lakers start a three-game road trip in Houston and he is listed as day-to-day, but Lakers coach Mike told ESPNLA.com they will rest him until he is healthy.
“We got to get him healthy,” D’Antoni said. “Whatever it takes — one game, two games, 10 games — I don’t know. It’s day to day but he’s got to be healthy. It wasn’t fair (to him). He’s trying to battle through some stuff and in this league, you just can’t do that.”
This is bound to start some people saying “they are resting him so he doesn’t get hurt before the trade goes down.” No. That’s not it. That’s not what any league source is saying right now. The Lakers are not shopping Gasol… yet. ESPN covered the yet.
However, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently spoken to Gasol’s representatives and the gist of the conversation was that if Gasol is unable to adjust to D’Antoni’s system, the team will have no choice but to search for possible trade scenarios.
The Lakers want to have a healthy Gasol and a healthy Steve Nash and see what they’ve got, then make adjustments if they have to.
It may just be a while before we see that.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7