Dec 4, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Next summer is the European championship of basketball — EuroBasket — taking place in Slovenia. Followed in 2014 by the World Cup/World Championship. Followed in 2015 by Olympic qualifying games. Followed in 2016 by the Olympics in Rio.
We know how most owners feel about their elite players choosing country over club and risking injury (plus just adding wear and tear) to play for their flag. Specifically, we know how Mark Cuban feels about it, which is about how he feels about Power Balance bracelets.
With Dirk Nowitzki still not suited up for the Mavs following knee surgery before the season, the idea of him suiting up for Germany seemed a long shot already. And Nowitzki confirmed that with German sports site Sport1.de, as translated by Sportando:
Dirk Nowitzki said that he will likely miss Eurobasket 2013 next September. The German forward did not play last summer to with German National Team. Nowitzki, who is still out after the knee surgery, thinks that Mark Cuban won’t allow him to play Eurobasket.
“It will be very hard for me to be in Slovenia” said Nowitzki to Sport1.de. “Right now, I look forward to join my Mavericks teammates on the court and play a game” added the German forward.
This isn’t really a surprise, but it certainly doesn’t help Germany either — Nowitzki is the country’s greatest player ever. Without him they take a step back. But we’ll save the EuroBasket breakdowns for the dog days of summer.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2