Dec 3, 2012, 6:09 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Steve Novak loves the corner three.
• What really got twitter buzzing on Monday? The new Air Jordan XX8 were released. And they are… different. See for yourself to the right, it breaks the mold of basketball shoes. The reaction on twitter was not kind initially, to put it mildly. Nike makes a great product, they may play very well on the court. As for their “casual wear” sales to people who just wear them around the neighborhood…
• Charles Barkley trained with Manny Pacquiao for an upcoming TNT show called “Charles & Reggie: Toe to Toe with Manny Pacquiao.” So warm up all your “Pacquiao trains with a heavyweight” jokes. (The Reggie is Reggie Miller, but we may watch this anyway.)
• If you care about the kerfuffle where Michael Jordan broke the dress code at a fancy Miami country club, here is Jordan’s response. Which really should have been “you really want to be the country club that banned Michael Jordan?”
• Speaking of Jordan, check out this video of a 1989 television show — “Michael Jordan’s Airwaves” — that aired locally in Chicago in 1989. Can’t believe that didn’t catch on.
• Rajon Rondo may have been suspended by the league three times in the past nine months, but the guys who play with him speak very highly of him on and off the court.
• Long time NBA writer Charlie Rosen has joined Sheridan Hoops, and in his first work for the site just shreds Jim Buss. I’ll just add what Rosen writes about the sibling rivalry in the Buss family is something I have heard from multiple sources.
• Darren Collison doesn’t feel he got a fair chance in Dallas to prove his worth. I would say he pretty much played at the level of most of his career, Rick Carlisle just wasn’t thrilled with that. But he’ll get another shot, Derek Fisher is not the answer.
• Interesting discussion of why the Thunder have won five in a row and look like they are hitting their early-season stride.
• Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has got the back of his young players. For whatever that’s worth.
• The Cavaliers waived Luke Harangody, who has been out following right knee surgery and has not played for the Cavs this year. Once he is fully recovered I expect some team will grab him and give him a chance.
Dec 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
It WAS a nice dunk… at least until that camera man got in the way
Dec 22, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
LeBron’s son has pretty impressive highlight mix
Dec 22, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
Beckham previously had dinner with LeBron James
Dec 22, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
Thunder point guard both dismissive and introspective after loss to Pelicans
Dec 22, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Love will be booed more vehemently on Tuesday than LeBron will on Thursday.
Dec 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
Well, it would be better than more Jar Jar Binks.
Nick Young’s plan to ease Kobe’s burden: Give Young the ball because he’s best three point shooter in league
Dec 22, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Young does not lack for confidence.
Dec 22, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
The Rockets are the frontrunners to land him.
Dec 22, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Trail Blazers move up to second.
Dec 22, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
Boston might try to re-trade point guard acquired in Rajon Rondo deal
K.J. McDaniels’ mom yells at his teammates for dunking rather than passing, shooting free throws too slowly
Dec 22, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Ms. McDaniels brings some fun to the 76ers-Magic game
Dec 22, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Each reported suitor has an in with former Pistons forward
Dec 22, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
Maybe Dalembert wanted to get ejected so he didn’t have to watch any more of the Raptors easy win over the Knicks.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:21 PM EST
Pistons use stretch provision on forward owed more than $35 million
Dec 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Will LeBron receive more cheers or boos?
Dec 22, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
In a Philadelphia win!
Dec 22, 2014, 10:29 AM EST
Magic guard avoiding sophomore slump of other top 2013-14 rookies
Dec 22, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
Philadelphia will waive Turiaf, who’s injured and out for season
Dec 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Byron Scott can tell Kobe to rest, but it will be Kobe’s decision. Kobe has the power in that relationship.
Dec 22, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 14
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 53
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20