Dec 3, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Steve Novak loves the corner three.
• What really got twitter buzzing on Monday? The new Air Jordan XX8 were released. And they are… different. See for yourself to the right, it breaks the mold of basketball shoes. The reaction on twitter was not kind initially, to put it mildly. Nike makes a great product, they may play very well on the court. As for their “casual wear” sales to people who just wear them around the neighborhood…
• Charles Barkley trained with Manny Pacquiao for an upcoming TNT show called “Charles & Reggie: Toe to Toe with Manny Pacquiao.” So warm up all your “Pacquiao trains with a heavyweight” jokes. (The Reggie is Reggie Miller, but we may watch this anyway.)
• If you care about the kerfuffle where Michael Jordan broke the dress code at a fancy Miami country club, here is Jordan’s response. Which really should have been “you really want to be the country club that banned Michael Jordan?”
• Speaking of Jordan, check out this video of a 1989 television show — “Michael Jordan’s Airwaves” — that aired locally in Chicago in 1989. Can’t believe that didn’t catch on.
• Rajon Rondo may have been suspended by the league three times in the past nine months, but the guys who play with him speak very highly of him on and off the court.
• Long time NBA writer Charlie Rosen has joined Sheridan Hoops, and in his first work for the site just shreds Jim Buss. I’ll just add what Rosen writes about the sibling rivalry in the Buss family is something I have heard from multiple sources.
• Darren Collison doesn’t feel he got a fair chance in Dallas to prove his worth. I would say he pretty much played at the level of most of his career, Rick Carlisle just wasn’t thrilled with that. But he’ll get another shot, Derek Fisher is not the answer.
• Interesting discussion of why the Thunder have won five in a row and look like they are hitting their early-season stride.
• Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has got the back of his young players. For whatever that’s worth.
• The Cavaliers waived Luke Harangody, who has been out following right knee surgery and has not played for the Cavs this year. Once he is fully recovered I expect some team will grab him and give him a chance.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Lakers might need Kobe’s scoring, but they shouldn’t count on that much from aging star
Sep 29, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Orlando’s new uniform a dud
Sep 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Road tickets to see the Cavaliers are $131.33 higher per seat than the second most expensive team, the Lakers.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Well, will he?
Sep 29, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Daryl Morey has way better hair than Trump.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey disappointed in what he’s learned so far about photos
Sep 29, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
If James Harden doesn’t play focused defense this season it’s Kevin McHale that pays the price.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Anthony said it wouldn’t have felt right leaving after he forced his way to New York midway through the 2011 season.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Spoelstra applied only on a bet with his German teammates
Sep 29, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
KD has some words for those that questioned his motivation this summer, and they are not the words of Mr. Nice Guy.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Sounds like fun
Sep 29, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Can he fit in the Celtics’ system better than he did in Indiana?
Sep 29, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Without LeBron James, how many setbacks – even small ones – can the Heat overcome?
Hornets GM: It was important for franchise to act “decisively and quickly” on Jeff Taylor domestic assault arrest
Sep 29, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
The Hornets made the right move so far, keeping Taylor away from team activities while the investigation goes forward.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
New York coming off a 37-45 season
Sep 29, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Magic guard swishes trick shot
Sep 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Franchise great becomes Special Advisor to CEO Steve Koonin
Sep 29, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Markieff Morris gets $32 million, Marcus Morris $20 million
Sep 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
John Wall is a star. Is Bradley Beal joining him?
Sep 29, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Diaw shows Spurs coach how he’s really keeping his weight down this offseason
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 42
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20
- Cavaliers trade Keith Bogans and a second round pick to Sixers 8