Monday And-1 links: The new Jordan XX8 is… different

Dec 3, 2012, 6:09 PM EST

air-jordan-xx8

Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Steve Novak loves the corner three.

• What really got twitter buzzing on Monday? The new Air Jordan XX8 were released. And they are… different. See for yourself to the right, it breaks the mold of basketball shoes. The reaction on twitter was not kind initially, to put it mildly. Nike makes a great product, they may play very well on the court. As for their “casual wear” sales to people who just wear them around the neighborhood…

• Charles Barkley trained with Manny Pacquiao for an upcoming TNT show called “Charles & Reggie: Toe to Toe with Manny Pacquiao.” So warm up all your “Pacquiao trains with a heavyweight” jokes. (The Reggie is Reggie Miller, but we may watch this anyway.)

• If you care about the kerfuffle where Michael Jordan broke the dress code at a fancy Miami country club, here is Jordan’s response. Which really should have been “you really want to be the country club that banned Michael Jordan?”

• Speaking of Jordan, check out this video of a 1989 television show — “Michael Jordan’s Airwaves” — that aired locally in Chicago in 1989. Can’t believe that didn’t catch on.

Rajon Rondo may have been suspended by the league three times in the past nine months, but the guys who play with him speak very highly of him on and off the court.

• Good news in Boston, apparently Avery Bradley is very close to returning to the court.

• Don’t tell LeBron James he is a power forward.

• Long time NBA writer Charlie Rosen has joined Sheridan Hoops, and in his first work for the site just shreds Jim Buss. I’ll just add what Rosen writes about the sibling rivalry in the Buss family is something I have heard from multiple sources.

Darren Collison doesn’t feel he got a fair chance in Dallas to prove his worth. I would say he pretty much played at the level of most of his career, Rick Carlisle just wasn’t thrilled with that. But he’ll get another shot, Derek Fisher is not the answer.

Interesting discussion of why the Thunder have won five in a row and look like they are hitting their early-season stride.

Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has got the back of his young players. For whatever that’s worth.

• The Cavaliers waived Luke Harangody, who has been out following right knee surgery and has not played for the Cavs this year. Once he is fully recovered I expect some team will grab him and give him a chance.

Some video of rookie Harrison Barnes getting on-the-court tutoring from Jerry West.

1. dannymac17 - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

If by different you mean horrendous, then yes, you are correct.

Considering Jordans choice of attire at any given moment, these ugly bastards are Jordan-esque.

2. progress2011 - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM

You know, I REFUSE to purchase a pair of sneaks. The products are HORRIBLE !

What cost them shoe makers $5 to make in a 3rd world sweat shop, they want to sell a a few strips of plastic, nylon and cheap rubber for $150 or more !

That’s just not a good investment !

I personally wait until the next season and purchase them at wholesale prices of about $25.

I reluctantly pay the $20 mark-up but atleast I have personal satisfaction knowing I didn’t get totally bamboozled !

I work hard for my money and I need EVERY PENNY to work at maximum efficiency…..ahahahaha

3. cosanostra71 - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yeah, I’m sure a lot of guys are going to shell out $200 (or whatever Jordans retail for now) for a pair of boots.

• cullenand99 - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM

These are supposed to retail for $250.00…yeah.

4. AlohaMrHand - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

More proof that Jordan hates his fans when he approves such hideous shoes.Just because they have his logo on them you suckers will buy them.

5. paulwoodsby - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM

They look like the ladies boots my teenage nieces wear.

6. BigBeachBall - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:18 AM

250 dollars of pure respect.

7. fanofevilempire - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

they will sell…………………..
    I won’t get these personally ………….
    in nyc I regularly pay $300-350…………………

stop hating you old farts………………..

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches