Mike Bibby wants to return to the NBA (hey, Derek Fisher did)

Dec 3, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT

Mike Bibby Getty Images

Mike Bibby wasn’t very good for the Knicks last season, shooting just 28.2 percent. He wasn’t very good for the Heat, Wizards or Hawks the season before that. In a league of quick, young guards he looked like the game had moved past him.

But not shockingly, he wants back in. And when you see Derek Fisher not only get signed but walked right in as a starter for the Mavericks (and shot 1-of-8 in that game), if you’re Bibby you think “why not me?”

From an interview with Hoopshype.

“I’m getting ready for any call,” Bibby told HoopsHype in an interview. “It’s reassuring that Derek Fisher got that call. People are still getting calls right now. It can happen somewhere down the line, I’m not worried about that. I’m just keeping myself ready when that call comes.”

As for his ugly performance in New York… blame the lockout, he said.

“Last year everybody was telling me ‘It’s a lockout, lockout, lockout’, so I was trying to take it easy, saving my body a little bit,” Bibby said. “Then two days later I have to be here and go. It was tough to have only a few days to get in shape into training camp. Not being in shape at the beginning of the season, I think it hurt me.”

Bibby isn’t going to provide much on the court anymore, his shot is gone and he doesn’t defend all that well. Could there be a situation where a team needs depth at the point and decides to go with a guy who can mentor a little, sure. GMs like to go with what they know.

But I’d be surprised if the call came now. Bibby had a good 14 years in the league. That may be it.

Latest Posts
  1. Kevin Durant: Stephen Curry ‘is terrible’ in NBA2K

Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT

Stephen Curry Stephen Curry

Video game Curry doesn’t come close to shooting as well as the real life version.

2. Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe

Aug 20, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

If Bledsoe decides to play for the qualifying offer, he’ll almost certainly bolt as an unrestricted free agent next summer.

3. Nene says playing Anthony Davis is like fighting Dhalsim from Street Fighter

Aug 20, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

dhalsim_street_fighter

Strangest comparison ever. And pretty accurate.

4. Report: Heat trying to add shooting guard, another big but for veteran minimum

Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT

Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade AP

Miami could use the depth, but at this point the pickings are slim.

5. Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline

Aug 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

New York Knicks  v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

Move would be purely financial for Philadelphia, but if Stoudemire is contributing at that time, Knicks may pass.

6. Stephen Curry says he, Klay Thompson would be best NBA Jam duo in NBA

Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Best NBA Jam duo on a current team? Give me Durant and Westbrook.

7. Lakers top 10 plays of the 2013-14 season (VIDEO)

Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Highlights only serve as a reminder of just how bad things were in Los Angeles.

8. Matt Bonner goes new car shopping, chooses Chevy

Aug 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Matt Bonner

Bonner now drives a 2014 Chevy Impala.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches