Mike Bibby wants to return to the NBA (hey, Derek Fisher did)

Dec 3, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT

Mike Bibby Getty Images

Mike Bibby wasn’t very good for the Knicks last season, shooting just 28.2 percent. He wasn’t very good for the Heat, Wizards or Hawks the season before that. In a league of quick, young guards he looked like the game had moved past him.

But not shockingly, he wants back in. And when you see Derek Fisher not only get signed but walked right in as a starter for the Mavericks (and shot 1-of-8 in that game), if you’re Bibby you think “why not me?”

From an interview with Hoopshype.

“I’m getting ready for any call,” Bibby told HoopsHype in an interview. “It’s reassuring that Derek Fisher got that call. People are still getting calls right now. It can happen somewhere down the line, I’m not worried about that. I’m just keeping myself ready when that call comes.”

As for his ugly performance in New York… blame the lockout, he said.

“Last year everybody was telling me ‘It’s a lockout, lockout, lockout’, so I was trying to take it easy, saving my body a little bit,” Bibby said. “Then two days later I have to be here and go. It was tough to have only a few days to get in shape into training camp. Not being in shape at the beginning of the season, I think it hurt me.”

Bibby isn’t going to provide much on the court anymore, his shot is gone and he doesn’t defend all that well. Could there be a situation where a team needs depth at the point and decides to go with a guy who can mentor a little, sure. GMs like to go with what they know.

But I’d be surprised if the call came now. Bibby had a good 14 years in the league. That may be it.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season

Aug 29, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

If he develops a consistent three-point shot, it’s over.

2. You can own Michael Jordan’s original uniform from Space Jam

Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

space jam

Owning this may be better than seeing Space Jam 2 with Lebron James, if that project comes together.

3. Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him”

Aug 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

He’s a coach, a brother.” — Lakers’ co-owner Jim Buss on Byron Scott

4. Friday night video fun: Best hustle plays of 2014-15 season

Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

It’s not a coincidence you see stars like Chris Paul, LeBron James, Tim Duncan and Russell Westbrook in a highlight package like this.

5. Kenneth Faried excited to see what Emmanuel Mudiay will do in Denver

Aug 28, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp Getty Images

It is going to be a rough year in Denver as they give the keys to the offense to a rookie point guard.

6. Charles Barkley remembers “gentle giant” Darryl Dawkins

Aug 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT

NBA House - Moynihan Station 2015 Getty Images

Charles Barkley talked about how he never found Dawkins in a bad mood — he was always jovial.

7. Nets’ Bojan Bogdanovic rolls ankle readying for EuroBasket, says he’ll be fine

Aug 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets - Game Four Getty Images

It shouldn’t linger into training camp if he doesn’t aggravate it.

8. Jim Buss heaps praise, hope on young Lakers

Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Draft Picks Press Conference Getty Images

What did you expect he would say?

Top 10 NBA Player Searches