Mike Bibby wants to return to the NBA (hey, Derek Fisher did)

Dec 3, 2012, 3:41 PM EST

Mike Bibby Getty Images

Mike Bibby wasn’t very good for the Knicks last season, shooting just 28.2 percent. He wasn’t very good for the Heat, Wizards or Hawks the season before that. In a league of quick, young guards he looked like the game had moved past him.

But not shockingly, he wants back in. And when you see Derek Fisher not only get signed but walked right in as a starter for the Mavericks (and shot 1-of-8 in that game), if you’re Bibby you think “why not me?”

From an interview with Hoopshype.

“I’m getting ready for any call,” Bibby told HoopsHype in an interview. “It’s reassuring that Derek Fisher got that call. People are still getting calls right now. It can happen somewhere down the line, I’m not worried about that. I’m just keeping myself ready when that call comes.”

As for his ugly performance in New York… blame the lockout, he said.

“Last year everybody was telling me ‘It’s a lockout, lockout, lockout’, so I was trying to take it easy, saving my body a little bit,” Bibby said. “Then two days later I have to be here and go. It was tough to have only a few days to get in shape into training camp. Not being in shape at the beginning of the season, I think it hurt me.”

Bibby isn’t going to provide much on the court anymore, his shot is gone and he doesn’t defend all that well. Could there be a situation where a team needs depth at the point and decides to go with a guy who can mentor a little, sure. GMs like to go with what they know.

But I’d be surprised if the call came now. Bibby had a good 14 years in the league. That may be it.

Latest Posts
  1. Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived

Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 AM EST

LeBron James AP

If you had any doubts about the Cavs, they answered them.

2. LeBron drops season-high 42 as Cavaliers comfortably handle Warriors (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 AM EST

LeBron James AP

LeBron looked at Stephen Curry across the way and decided to make his own MVP statement.

3. Rip Hamilton finally, formally announced retirement

Feb 26, 2015, 8:15 PM EST

Rip Hamilton

Yes it’s a little late in coming, but it’s worth remembering what a quality player he was.

4. Derrick Rose scheduled for surgery Friday, will have all or part of meniscus removed

Feb 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EST

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

He is having all or part of the meniscus removed, which makes for a faster recovery.

5. Reports: Kings’ Darren Collison to have surgery, likely done for season

Feb 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

While in theory he could return for a few games, in practice that’s not going to happen.

6. Heat sign Michael Beasley to 10-day contract

Feb 26, 2015, 1:11 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - 2014 NBA Finals Game Three Getty Images

This will be Beasley’s third stint with Miami

7. Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers?

Feb 26, 2015, 12:29 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Reports emerging Rondo ‘unlikely’ to re-sign with Dallas

8. This is the fear: Is Derrick Rose on his way to the Penny Hardaway, Bill Walton club?

Feb 26, 2015, 11:12 AM EST

Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose waits for the start of a media interview at the start of the team's training camp at the Berto Arena in Chicago, Illinois Reuters

It’s too early to say with Rose what hs legacy will be.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Durant (7901)
  2. S. Curry (7114)
  3. D. Rose (6934)
  4. M. Carter-Williams (6901)
  5. D. Howard (6824)