Dec 3, 2012, 3:41 PM EST
Mike Bibby wasn’t very good for the Knicks last season, shooting just 28.2 percent. He wasn’t very good for the Heat, Wizards or Hawks the season before that. In a league of quick, young guards he looked like the game had moved past him.
But not shockingly, he wants back in. And when you see Derek Fisher not only get signed but walked right in as a starter for the Mavericks (and shot 1-of-8 in that game), if you’re Bibby you think “why not me?”
“I’m getting ready for any call,” Bibby told HoopsHype in an interview. “It’s reassuring that Derek Fisher got that call. People are still getting calls right now. It can happen somewhere down the line, I’m not worried about that. I’m just keeping myself ready when that call comes.”
As for his ugly performance in New York… blame the lockout, he said.
“Last year everybody was telling me ‘It’s a lockout, lockout, lockout’, so I was trying to take it easy, saving my body a little bit,” Bibby said. “Then two days later I have to be here and go. It was tough to have only a few days to get in shape into training camp. Not being in shape at the beginning of the season, I think it hurt me.”
Bibby isn’t going to provide much on the court anymore, his shot is gone and he doesn’t defend all that well. Could there be a situation where a team needs depth at the point and decides to go with a guy who can mentor a little, sure. GMs like to go with what they know.
But I’d be surprised if the call came now. Bibby had a good 14 years in the league. That may be it.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 7
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 33
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 16
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (33)