Dec 3, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Mike Bibby wasn’t very good for the Knicks last season, shooting just 28.2 percent. He wasn’t very good for the Heat, Wizards or Hawks the season before that. In a league of quick, young guards he looked like the game had moved past him.
But not shockingly, he wants back in. And when you see Derek Fisher not only get signed but walked right in as a starter for the Mavericks (and shot 1-of-8 in that game), if you’re Bibby you think “why not me?”
“I’m getting ready for any call,” Bibby told HoopsHype in an interview. “It’s reassuring that Derek Fisher got that call. People are still getting calls right now. It can happen somewhere down the line, I’m not worried about that. I’m just keeping myself ready when that call comes.”
As for his ugly performance in New York… blame the lockout, he said.
“Last year everybody was telling me ‘It’s a lockout, lockout, lockout’, so I was trying to take it easy, saving my body a little bit,” Bibby said. “Then two days later I have to be here and go. It was tough to have only a few days to get in shape into training camp. Not being in shape at the beginning of the season, I think it hurt me.”
Bibby isn’t going to provide much on the court anymore, his shot is gone and he doesn’t defend all that well. Could there be a situation where a team needs depth at the point and decides to go with a guy who can mentor a little, sure. GMs like to go with what they know.
But I’d be surprised if the call came now. Bibby had a good 14 years in the league. That may be it.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 12
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65