Mike Bibby wants to return to the NBA (hey, Derek Fisher did)

Dec 3, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT

Mike Bibby Getty Images

Mike Bibby wasn’t very good for the Knicks last season, shooting just 28.2 percent. He wasn’t very good for the Heat, Wizards or Hawks the season before that. In a league of quick, young guards he looked like the game had moved past him.

But not shockingly, he wants back in. And when you see Derek Fisher not only get signed but walked right in as a starter for the Mavericks (and shot 1-of-8 in that game), if you’re Bibby you think “why not me?”

From an interview with Hoopshype.

“I’m getting ready for any call,” Bibby told HoopsHype in an interview. “It’s reassuring that Derek Fisher got that call. People are still getting calls right now. It can happen somewhere down the line, I’m not worried about that. I’m just keeping myself ready when that call comes.”

As for his ugly performance in New York… blame the lockout, he said.

“Last year everybody was telling me ‘It’s a lockout, lockout, lockout’, so I was trying to take it easy, saving my body a little bit,” Bibby said. “Then two days later I have to be here and go. It was tough to have only a few days to get in shape into training camp. Not being in shape at the beginning of the season, I think it hurt me.”

Bibby isn’t going to provide much on the court anymore, his shot is gone and he doesn’t defend all that well. Could there be a situation where a team needs depth at the point and decides to go with a guy who can mentor a little, sure. GMs like to go with what they know.

But I’d be surprised if the call came now. Bibby had a good 14 years in the league. That may be it.

1. misterdreamer119 - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Hes old.

2. charlescub80 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM

There are D league players better…

3. shaolin916 - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Sacramento needs to Bibby’s #10 in the rafters.
    Peja’s #16 also

4. tannethrill - Dec 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Note to Mike Bibby

You aren’t at a point in your career where you can get out of shape at any time.

You being out of shape last year set you back to a point of no return.

Fisher likely has a year round regiment.

• badintent - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

He was in shape when he played for the Grizz 15 years ago BC. Like in British Columbia, not in Before Christ. Like in Vancouver , BC.

5. fearthabird52 - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

who doesnt want to make money doing nothing

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches