Dec 3, 2012, 4:12 PM EST
Steve Blake will undergo laproscopic surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle.It is expected that Blake will miss a min of 6 to 8 weeks.
— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) December 3, 2012
Blake had been trying to rehab the abdominal injury without surgery, but it wasn’t working.
The Lakers need point guard help, but it would be tough to trade for one (teams are going to try and force the Lakers to overpay, the other teams will have leverage) and the free agent crop is guys like Mike Bibby. Who is not an upgrade. With Nash coming back, it’s hard to see them making a deal. So expect to continue to see a lot of Kobe Bryant essentially playing the point, running a lot of pick-and-roll.
The Lakers issues are bigger than just the point guard spot — the defense, the bench, Pau Gasol’s comfort level are all as big or bigger. But the Lakers offense is not going to flow without Nash or another top guard and that is certainly tied to the Lakers wild inconsistency this season.
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 1
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)