Lakers Steve Blake has surgery, will miss 6-8 more weeks

Dec 3, 2012, 4:12 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

And the Darius Morris/Chris Duhon era continues in Los Angeles….

Just a day after Steve Nash said he would be out maybe another couple weeks (he’s not sure) came this news about his backup, via the Lakers official twitter account.

Blake had been trying to rehab the abdominal injury without surgery, but it wasn’t working.

The Lakers need point guard help, but it would be tough to trade for one (teams are going to try and force the Lakers to overpay, the other teams will have leverage) and the free agent crop is guys like Mike Bibby. Who is not an upgrade. With Nash coming back, it’s hard to see them making a deal. So expect to continue to see a lot of Kobe Bryant essentially playing the point, running a lot of pick-and-roll.

The Lakers issues are bigger than just the point guard spot — the defense, the bench, Pau Gasol’s comfort level are all as big or bigger. But the Lakers offense is not going to flow without Nash or another top guard and that is certainly tied to the Lakers wild inconsistency this season.

1. magicbucs - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Abdominal tear linger and heal slowwwww … Nash will be out longer cause he’s almost 40. The body doesn’t heal. I’ll be surprised if Nash play more than 45 games this season. I had said 55 a couple weeks ago.
    Even when he returns he’s going to be injury prone. Good luck with that…

• bozosforall - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Poor magic bung…a rectal tear that is keeping him out of commission on the male hooker circuit. Cutting deep into his moneymaking capability, though at $5 a pop it takes a while to earn his room and board at the local YMCA.

2. staff2cj - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Keep the injuries coming Flakes, I love it!!!

• bozosforall - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Only losers like you wish injury on any player.

3. chargerdillon - Dec 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Because Steve Blake coming back from injury would make all the difference for the Lakers right?

Oh wait no….im thinking of Steve Nash……..

So the Lakers are waiting on 2 broken down PG’s to fix all their problems?

Maybe if Dwight gets injured we can find a complete center who can shoot free throws and not sabotage the team in the 4th quarter as is the case every game Dwight plays in.

I’m a Laker fan and a realist. These Lakers absolutely SUCK, they arnt good, they arnt almost good, THEY SUCK. And as long as our best young player of the future is Dwight Howard, the future is going to SUCK.

• tsi431 - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Steve Blake may not put up great numbers, but he is a true, veteran PG. If you don’t know how important the PG is in a pick n roll or any offense in the NBA then you are an idiot.
      A rookie trying to translate his college game into the NBA is not going to work. This is the reason Steve Blake will be a “huge” help to the Lakers.

——————————————————————————
      Howard
      18.7 ppg
      11.3 rpg
      2.6 bpg

Bynum
      0 ppg
      0 rpg
      0 bpg

Who would you rather have at this point?

4. noahbird - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Replaceable.

5. hoodheisman - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

We want Phil!
    We want Phil!
    We want Phil!

6. scottheis82 - Dec 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM

magicbucs isn’t a doctor but he plays one when he trolls on Lakers stories.

• bozosforall - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM

The only thing that magic bung plays anywhere is play with his little wee wee.

7. jerdogthompson - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I can see this team going 4-6 the next 10, which would be the time as being reported now to Nash’s return. That gets them to 12-15 and looking up from the bottom in the WC. They would need to finish the year 40-15 to even have a glimmer of hope to make the playoffs in a very deep WC. I’m telling you, even the most optimistic of all homers has to give pause at that fact. That ultra small window has almost closed shut for the AARP team donning purple and gold.

For all of those faithfuls banking on Kupcake pulling a rabbit out of his arse with a Pau trade you’re truly delusional. There’s not a GM in the league dumb enough to take on that 19mm contract. Things truly can’t get much worse. I feel sorry for this team and its arrogant fans.

Oh that’s right, we got 16 how many you got? Last I checked Celts got 17. So what else you got? .

• bozosforall - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

17? Most of them from the Stone Age

Try FIVE titles in the new millenium, arrogant Boston loser. Your team has a measly ONE in the last quarter century, duhdumthompson. AKA Pudhummer53.

• sdlakerfan - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I agree the Lakers are a disappointment so far but…

Let’s not start counting their loses before they happen…lol. And FYI, there are only 5 WC teams above .500 right now (and two that are .500) so winning 41 games will get you a 6th seed right now and, at this rate, less than 41 will get in the playoffs which is a far cry from the 52 you’re claiming.

Oh wait, all the other teams in the WC conference are going to improve significantly and the Lakers are going to get worse, right? As you mentioned, things can’t get much worse – and I’m confident they’ll improve some given their new players, lousy chemistry, and injuries right now.

• scottheis82 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Lakers up 9-3 in my lifetime… nuff said, we’re done talking about the 50s 60’s and 70’s oldtimer.

8. paulhargis53 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Hey! There’s lakerluver, masqueradeing as bozosforall!! Nothing like using my recycled humor. Can’t come up with your own material…how sad.

Keep trying, one day you’ll be fu.ny.

Wee, wee?! Really?

Cmon lakerluver, your attempts to be like.me have reached absurd proportions.

You have to be funny to be like me, you aren’t even in the same area code as funny.
    Who has to have 2 screen names to combat me? You’re a sad little.man, squish mitten. One last time, for your own sake more than others, stop posting.
    You’re a freaking laughingstock.

9. bozosforall - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Only squish mittens I see here are you and the Puh C’s that you root for. You would be the polar opposite of funny, loser boy. As for your “humor”, all of your lame “jokes” have been done so long ago that they were posted off of a Commodore 64 by Al Gore.

You aren’t funny…but you are plenty FU-GLY.

10. scottheis82 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM

@ paulhargis, go post on a Boston story… oh wait y’all not in the news much other than Doc sticking his nose in other teams business ( kind of like you) and your team blowing a 17 point lead to the Bucks…

11. mazblast - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Come on, Laker fans, do you think Steve Blake–STEVE BLAKE–is going to make that much of a difference?

Get real. Steve Nash, maybe, but not Steve Blake.

• bozosforall - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Steve Blake>Darius Morris and Chris Duhon = much of a difference

12. scottheis82 - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM

paulhargis… thinks he’s funny that’s like KG thinking he’s got a great head of hair.

13. paulhargis53 - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM

bozo/lakerluver: You don’t even know what a ” squishmitten is, you certainly haven’t seen one in real life.

My jokes are lame? Yet you recycle them and try to pass them off as your own every chance you get. I can see why, your Al Gore joke is about as unfunny as it gets. Fugly?! Oh. My. God.

I’m getting humor advice from someone who thinks Henny Youngman is the king of comedy..
    Don’t try anymore of your own jokes, go back to parroting me- that was painfully bad om your part- I’m embarrassed for you.

14. sportsnut101 - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Oh no not Steve Blake. Lakers can’t win without him lol

What a waste of time of a story

Kobe will blast him to like he did smush Parker

15. paulhargis53 - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Scottheis: That’s your attempt at humor?
    Really?! Yuck. I’m not even going to berate you for that, it was so mind numbingly bad.

As for the titles comment, what a typical dumba** response. It speaks volumes about your lack of appreciation for the history of the game. If it didn’t happen while you were alive, it didn’t happen, right?
    Still going to have that mindset when they don’t win another title with Kobe? When he retires and they aren’t any good anymore?

I can see why you only go back to the 80s.
    The lakers didn’t do so well prior to that did they? Most of their early titles were won in Minnesota. After that, they couldn’t beat the Celtics to save their lives.

That doesn’t fit your argument, so just disregard it, right?
    17>16.
    11 of 13 and 8 in a row trumps anything the lakers franchise will ever do.

Boston will always be the standard bearer of excellence in the NBA. That just has to suck for you…

16. scottheis82 - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM

@paulhargis, I suppose your comments about lakerluver hanging himself last week was just the most HILARIOUS thing ever… you just crack yourself up don’t you. as for history I have great appreciation for it, for instance the Lakers won the championship the year you were born 1953, I was simply putting things into context in more recent terms. in the past 30 years the Lakers have represented the western conference 15 times and won 9 championships, the C’s have represented the eastern conference 6 times and won 3 times that’s the inconvient truth for you troll… now shoo fly shoo

17. paulhargis53 - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That comment about LL wasn’t meant to be funny,it wasn’t a joke.

I wasn’t born in 1953, dope. That isn’t my real name.
    History is history, recent or not.
    Recently, the lakers can’t get out of the 2nd round.
    Your fanbase can’t stop waving past banners when it suits them, but when a Celtics fan does the same, it doesn’t matter because of when?! Nice logic dummy.

Your franchise will never equal what the Celtics did-never.

I don’t wish ill on LL by the way, I just want him off this site. My comment was to mean that he gets so wrapped up in the lakers doing well, that he lives vicariously through them, that I could see him going to that extreme if things don’t go well for the team.
    He’s a sad man.

18. scottheis82 - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

When he retires and they aren’t good anymore? Wow you heard it here folks paulhargis admits the Lakers are good… this is fun!!! so that wasn’t a joke about LL you are just a psychopath who post about people killing themselves. I been watching you for a while and am done standing by while you ignore your own teams shortcomings and attack the Lakers, just ease up on the hate brother. I would enjoy have constructive debates with you.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches